Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CENTERFORCE dual friction- Trashed in less than 5-6k miles!! (being resolved :) )

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

My Spec 3 **** the bed at 5k, welded itself to the flywheel. Clutch problems are nothing new with these cars, and making a post bashing the hell out of it will get little help from the sponsors, who more often then not are willing to help.

5k miles is well past any kind of warranty period. And there are other means of failure besides the clutch itself, such as installation, hydraulics, abuse. A grippy aftermarket clutch will fail with 200whp if you try to slip the hell out of it and ride out the clutch like a stocker. Regardless, Centerforces have long been known not to work well on these cars and were seldom reccomended, which is why its important to do a little research before making a purchase. I hear there is a new design out, so maybe they'll have better results now.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are clueless.. I dont want **** from CF.... they have a crap product.. you all know it... I wish i did before i bought it... hopefully others dont make the same mistake! I have been doing some thinking.. what are they gonna do for me after 5k miles? you are right... nothing... Maybe they will build a better product equal to McCloud, Ram, or Spec!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get what you pay for. (bargain clutch) Centerforces crapping out is old news.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

The new 12 inch centerforce is working well for a lot of people.

He got the 11 inch...he should have researched
Old 04-04-2006, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard alot of **** about centerforce, but their prices seemed appealing. After reading this thread and two others today (different sites) about centerforces being pos's, I'm going to be looking hard at ram and spec for sure.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Teching In

If the clutch REALLY wasnt even taken out before this post the mods should just delete this thread IMHO. Its obvious you havnt taken the time to take out and inspect it and mabye send or post some pics so at least you have SOME way to troubleshoot the problem. Theres LOTS of things that can go wrong with clutches and its VERY irresponsable to post something so over the top before knowing why the part failed.. Christ you didnt even post an explanation as to what the problem REALLY is. How do you know that theres hotspots all over if you didnt yank the tranny yet? There was recently a large post about a blown POS texteralia(spelling) clutch. Not quite as over the top as this one but.... Tex worked with the guy and it ended up being that the professional shop did something wrong on the install because they didnt heed the directions!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

1.you didnt take out the clutch but you come on here and automatically bash centerforce
2.you bought a budget clutch and beat the **** out of it and it failed you
3.you had it installed poorly and its the installers fault not the clutch's
4. you know how many CF clutches sell? this thread wont do anything to new customers
5.you sound like a little brat that always wants a free handout
6.you bought a race product, dont except anything from CF if you break it
7.you didnt register the product you bought therefor you are SOL!! thats what disclaimers are for dummy
8.end yourself
Old 04-04-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jessmansweet
If the clutch REALLY wasnt even taken out before this post the mods should just delete this thread IMHO. Its obvious you havnt taken the time to take out and inspect it and mabye send or post some pics so at least you have SOME way to troubleshoot the problem. Theres LOTS of things that can go wrong with clutches and its VERY irresponsable to post something so over the top before knowing why the part failed.. Christ you didnt even post an explanation as to what the problem REALLY is. How do you know that theres hotspots all over if you didnt yank the tranny yet? There was recently a large post about a blown POS texteralia(spelling) clutch. Not quite as over the top as this one but.... Tex worked with the guy and it ended up being that the professional shop did something wrong on the install because they didnt heed the directions!!!
Agreed
Old 04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
1.you didnt take out the clutch but you come on here and automatically bash centerforce
2.you bought a budget clutch and beat the **** out of it and it failed you
3.you had it installed poorly and its the installers fault not the clutch's
4. you know how many CF clutches sell? this thread wont do anything to new customers
5.you sound like a little brat that always wants a free handout
6.you bought a race product, dont except anything from CF if you break it
7.you didnt register the product you bought therefor you are SOL!! thats what disclaimers are for dummy
8.end yourself
1.why take it out? the damn thing is slipping... not hotspots.. slip ya fool

2.budget rated at 500 horses and based on CF's website it is within means of specs.

3.installed right.. I just dont know about the shims. what do they matter.. the clutch material is why it is slipping.

4.a few already said no cf... so yeah. the thread did its purpose

5.brat?? free handout? no I just thing they misrepresented a product that is known to be inferior! now they have some great 12 inch that is better? was this an option in January?

6.race product? that is the biggest BS statement ever! McLeod/Ram/Spec are race clutches.. no CF!

7.I bought the clutch from a shop....how the hell was i to know it would fail so damn fast?

8.Fuc urself

and whoever said it is well known... I bought my TA in January... my only f-bod..... I see negative product posts all the time... unfortunately I did not see anything about CF.... hell my car is only putting out 70rwhp over stock.. I assume a "stage 3" dual friction was sufficiant.................... unless you have something smart to say... keep your pie hole shut!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
I've heard alot of **** about centerforce, but their prices seemed appealing. After reading this thread and two others today (different sites) about centerforces being pos's, I'm going to be looking hard at ram and spec for sure.
glad I could help!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to have seen a dozen threads like this FYI LS1Tech is not a community of poor 16 yr old kids supping up there Honda. Alot of these people work in shops, own there own buisness or design products for manufacturers. Therefore without any proof theres no way in hell there gonna side with you over a manufacturer. If you wanted to go about this correctly, you should:

Sub A. Call Manufactur inform them of the situation, if the part has to be uninstalled ask them if they can help if not just do it yourself.
A. Take the part out and inspect it, then post pictures of where you think it failed (If its visible without taking apart thats fine, also try to maintain fairness in the pictures)
B. E-mail the manufacturer, send him the photos.(Can post them, but make sure you give an acurate accout of the situation, this way we can comment and help you find whos at fault because no body here really thinks a manufacturer is at fault, ever.)
C. Get his response, try to maintain contact through email, so you have a record.
D. If he doesnt help you out post your email convesations. If he does ask him what he reccomends you do as far as the thread is concerned.
E. #1 rule of the internet is dont get angry you can't punch the other person talking to you.

Basically the problem of why nobody bandwagons with you is:
A. Maintain credibility as a group so that special work arounds can be performed for LS1tech members.
B. Your acting like an Asshat because you have no proof that the manufacturer solely is at fault, yet you blame just him.

Well, hope you figure this out for next time.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by urbanhunter44
I wouldn't base my clutch choice on a thread that someone started without even looking at the damn thing! Which by the way is more than likely the 11" older version instead of the new 12" version! That is like me saying the freakin spec 1 i put in my car didn't hold my 400hp car....that piece of ****!!! And now since that one clutch failed on me i am going to bash the entire company!

I would seriously do a little more research and listen to the arguements these people are having on here against this guys claim! I have heard countless stories of Specs "blowing up" while people were driving! Does that not make you think twice about buying a spec? I know it does to me!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

I can relate to his story. When my spec3 welded itself to the flywheel and began slipping shortly afterwords the first thing I did was call them. The first thing I wanted to do was come straight here and post about it but I held back simply because I didn't want a thread to end up like this one.

Forteen3GT, best advice I can offer you is to cut your losses do A LOT of research before your next clutch purchase. Base it on what you plan on doing to the car in the future and not just what is done to it now. And make sure someone who knows what they are doing installs your new clutch.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
7.I bought the clutch from a shop....how the hell was i to know it would fail so damn fast?
Question for you... did you see this clutch before the install? Is the shop that was used one with a good name for them selves?

Not to be an ***, but if you didn't do the work yourself, how do you know it was done correctly & with the new parts you paid for.

Believe it or not some shops do try to save a buck by reusing old parts that past customers left behind when they upgraded.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

I beg to differ, the clutch slips, what else could be wrong with it if it worked great for the first 5k miles? and the clutch crapping out isnt the main problem its the manufacturer and their "loop hole" after this and other previous threads I will NOT be buying the following:

Spec clutches
Centerforce Clutches

I will be buying:
Textralia
GM OE (ls7)

I should kill myself now so my genes arent reproduced.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whitebird94
Question for you... did you see this clutch before the install? Is the shop that was used one with a good name for them selves?

Not to be an ***, but if you didn't do the work yourself, how do you know it was done correctly & with the new parts you paid for.

Believe it or not some shops do try to save a buck by reusing old parts that past customers left behind when they upgraded.
I saw the install.. it was the CF clutch. Slipping is common... slipping after in gear and under load is caused be either: material or hydros....

Hydros are fine..... it is the material is eaten up..... I am just going to have to post: I TOLD YOU SO!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2kSnakeEater
I beg to differ, the clutch slips, what else could be wrong with it if it worked great for the first 5k miles? and the clutch crapping out isnt the main problem its the manufacturer and their "loop hole" after this and other previous threads I will NOT be buying the following:

Spec clutches
Centerforce Clutches

I will be buying:
Textralia
GM OE (ls7)
finally someone that sees the point!

Ram is good if you dont mind the chatter... I am going with a <14lb steel flywheel and the strongest material on the market... neither RAM or SPEC... i am leaning towards McLeod.....
Old 04-05-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gettinthere
Step 1 should have been removing the clutch.
i agree with this.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

I saw the install.. it was the CF clutch. Slipping is common... slipping after in gear and under load is caused be either: material or hydros....

Hydros are fine..... it is the material is eaten up..... I am just going to have to post: I TOLD YOU SO!!!
once again i ask: was it the new 12" cf dual friction clutch? If it was the old design and an 11" design then i could see where the clutch would fail on you. But unless you know for 100% sure what clutch you are dealing with you have no grounds to come on here post that all Centerforce clutches suck! And how do you know for sure that it wasn't something else that caused the failure?

I'm not saying that you coming here and saying a product is **** is wrong. But i do think that you should AT THE VERY LEAST pull the clutch out and post pictures. Check your hydraulic system (even if it is new). Then if you do have the 12" design and there is nothing else that could have caused clutch failure come back here and say i told you so. And if thats the case then i apoligize and hope you have better luck finding a better clutch.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

and whoever said it is well known... I bought my TA in January... my only f-bod..... I see negative product posts all the time... unfortunately I did not see anything about CF.... hell my car is only putting out 70rwhp over stock.. I assume a "stage 3" dual friction was sufficiant.................... unless you have something smart to say... keep your pie hole shut!
You've had the car four months? What happened to the clutch you bought it with? Kill that one too? You must drive like a total douchebag!

Quick Reply: CENTERFORCE dual friction- Trashed in less than 5-6k miles!! (being resolved :) )