Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Liberty's T56

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Looks like it's a hell of a lot of fun, now its time to go hot lapping somewhere (like elkhart lake, wi).
I have been around Road America a few times in another car and its a blast. The RX7 would be wicked fun at Road America!

My first trip to the track will be Friday, assuming that I get my new Firestone skinnies.

Andrew
Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew; HOW the hell did you get that thing down to 2900 lbs.?? Aren't they like 3500 lbs. stock? That is a sick ride!! I always liked that body style the best out of all of the "old school" Goats!!!
Old 07-11-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Andrew; HOW the hell did you get that thing down to 2900 lbs.?? Aren't they like 3500 lbs. stock? That is a sick ride!! I always liked that body style the best out of all of the "old school" Goats!!!
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The Liberty trans is installed in my 88 RX7. Thats the car that is 2900 pounds. The car that I had at Road America is my GTO and it uses a Richmond 6 speed and its about 3900 pounds!

Andrew
Old 07-12-2006, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Sorry for the misunderstanding. The Liberty trans is installed in my 88 RX7. Thats the car that is 2900 pounds. The car that I had at Road America is my GTO and it uses a Richmond 6 speed and its about 3900 pounds!

Andrew
OK, that makes more sense. The early Goats would have to go on a MAJOR diet to get down to 2900 lbs.!!
BTW; kudos on the FC LS1, they are a wicked hybrid!!
Old 07-15-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I took the car to the track last night. The transmission worked flawlessly. Too bad I can't say the same for some of my other driveline components. See picture.
Before going to the track I changed the fluid from Dextron III to Synchromesh, per Paul's recommendation. I definitely noticed an improvement in the shifting, especially around town. I tried various techniques for shifting. Ultimately power shifting and tapping the clutch slightly worked better than not using the clutch and lifting on the shifts. Now if I can only keep my rear end parts from grenading...

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Liberty's T56-img_0878sm.jpg  
Old 07-15-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I took the car to the track last night. The transmission worked flawlessly. Too bad I can't say the same for some of my other driveline components. See picture.
Before going to the track I changed the fluid from Dextron III to Synchromesh, per Paul's recommendation. I definitely noticed an improvement in the shifting, especially around town. I tried various techniques for shifting. Ultimately power shifting and tapping the clutch slightly worked better than not using the clutch and lifting on the shifts. Now if I can only keep my rear end parts from grenading...

Andrew
I was waiting on that when you said you had an RX7. Proshifted/faceplate tranny's like to find the weak links in your drivetrain for you!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

what kind of powerplant is in this RX7?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
what kind of powerplant is in this RX7?
LS1 of course.

Andrew
Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

For anyone that cares, I have a short update. I have been driving the car on a daily basis. With practice, upshifts are smooth as silk. I can do it much nicer than what was shown in the video. On the upshift, as the RPMs are coming down, the next higher gear engages very smoothly and most of the time quietly. I can do it without almost any noise, compared to the cluncking that was heard before. It's all just practice. The same can be said for the downshifts. All that is required is blipping the throttle to raise the RPM and downshifts are very smooth and drama free. It never pops out of gear on decel.

Is this transmission streetable? You bet! Is it for everyone? Most definitely not. Do I love it? YES!

Andrew
Old 07-25-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoyed the video!! That trans is badass!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

For anyone that cares, I have a short update.
Andrew,

Keep us updated as you get more miles on the car. I'm considering faceplating this winter when I take my trans to liberty for a refresh.

-Dan
Old 08-17-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any chance of another video? I have a spare MN12 that could just possibly deserve this
Old 08-17-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Payne
Any chance of another video? I have a spare MN12 that could just possibly deserve this
What kind of video would you like?

Andrew
Old 08-17-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

For anyone that cares, I have a short update. I have been driving the car on a daily basis. With practice, upshifts are smooth as silk. I can do it much nicer than what was shown in the video. On the upshift, as the RPMs are coming down, the next higher gear engages very smoothly and most of the time quietly. I can do it without almost any noise, compared to the cluncking that was heard before. It's all just practice. The same can be said for the downshifts. All that is required is blipping the throttle to raise the RPM and downshifts are very smooth and drama free. It never pops out of gear on decel.

Is this transmission streetable? You bet! Is it for everyone? Most definitely not. Do I love it? YES!

Andrew
A similar video to the first one you posted, showing how its less noisy and smoother...
Old 08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Payne
A similar video to the first one you posted, showing how its less noisy and smoother...
Let me see what I can do. My friend that did the video work in the last clip has moved away. Ill try to find someone else with a cam.

Andrew
Old 08-18-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

on a side note...

Since we were earlier discussing how even a face-plated trans isn't strong enough for clutchless shifts, it got me thinking... In the motorcycle world we have a little thing called a timing-interrupt that allows clutchless shifts on transmissions (helical gears, not the stronger spur-cut. I doubt you could hurt those things anyway, haha). Think something like that would work in our case?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Man, Project GatTagO,
I have been following this post for months now, I just received my faceplated tranny on wednesday and installed this week end. I have to say i had the same reaction you did. I was goning to call paul on monday but after reading your post, you answered alot of my questions. Time and practice. I can't wait to take it to the track.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CamTom12
on a side note...

Since we were earlier discussing how even a face-plated trans isn't strong enough for clutchless shifts, it got me thinking... In the motorcycle world we have a little thing called a timing-interrupt that allows clutchless shifts on transmissions (helical gears, not the stronger spur-cut. I doubt you could hurt those things anyway, haha). Think something like that would work in our case?
Many of the more sophisticated EFI controllers have this feature built in. Take a look at this picture:

Notice anything funny about the shifter handle? See the wire? This particular gearbox is made by Holinger in Australia. The shifter handle is actually an adjustable strain gauge. It has an adjustable pivoting action. So as you pull or push (its a sequential gear box) the shift lever, it send a signal to the ECU to cut ignition timing for a desired amount of time. This cuts engine power, taking a load off the input shaft, and allows for lighting fast shifts. If the EFI system is really fancy, it can even do the appropriate RPM matching on the downshifts with the use of a drive-by-wire throttle body.

Good stuff!

Andrew
Old 08-21-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 24kar
Man, Project GatTagO,
I have been following this post for months now, I just received my faceplated tranny on wednesday and installed this week end. I have to say i had the same reaction you did. I was goning to call paul on monday but after reading your post, you answered alot of my questions. Time and practice. I can't wait to take it to the track.
Glad to help. It will take a little time, but once you have the technique down, driving will be as easy as a regular transmission. Just no more missed shifts!

Andrew
Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

Many of the more sophisticated EFI controllers have this feature built in. Take a look at this picture:

Notice anything funny about the shifter handle? See the wire? This particular gearbox is made by Holinger in Australia. The shifter handle is actually an adjustable strain gauge. It has an adjustable pivoting action. So as you pull or push (its a sequential gear box) the shift lever, it send a signal to the ECU to cut ignition timing for a desired amount of time. This cuts engine power, taking a load off the input shaft, and allows for lighting fast shifts. If the EFI system is really fancy, it can even do the appropriate RPM matching on the downshifts with the use of a drive-by-wire throttle body.

Good stuff!

Andrew
Turns out that shifter costs about $800 AUS, so that's a little out of the question for my purposes. Sure does look quality, though

I've been tossing around the idea of building a 2-step (not for manufacture) since I can't find an old harlan one anywhere and I was thinking about incorporating a timing-interrupt (some call them 'shift-cuts') for later down the road when I go to a face-plated or some sort of planetary tranny, so I don't have to worry as much about rebuilds and slipper-clutches... Kind of a pipe-dream, I guess

Quick Reply: Liberty's T56