Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 dependability

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T56 dependability

How dependable is the T56 in its stock form? I am asking because I just put one in my 71 camaro and I should be driving it soon. I have never driven a car with a T56 but all I ever see when I come to this forum are problems people are having with their T56......look at the main manual trans page and see what I mean...

Either the hydraulics are messed up or gears are stuck/broken, rebuilds on low mileage transmissions.....the list is endless...

I am almost regretting having gone with this trans and I have not driven it yet.

For those who know these transmissions better, do the complaints here pretty much describe the T56 or are these just isolated cases

what di you guys think about your T56s?
Old 05-27-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My t56 has held up strong. When I got it rebuilt I know why it needed rebuilding (powershifts, clutch dumping at 5k rpms, dropping it from 6th to 2nd). Anything you could think of doing to **** up your transmission, I did. All in the name of street racing, what an idiot!!!

If you treat them right, they'll treat you right.

But once you mess something up, it's just like a cycle. It'll damage something else until you fix it.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine has 64,000 HARD miles. 50,000 of which were in a setup making ~400rwhp. It's also seen it's definate fair share of 6600rpm launches at the track on slicks with a 150+ shot of nitrous off the line. Lots and lots of dropping into 2nd gear @ 70+mph roll racing as well... on and off the gas. (Many low 11second passes in a full-weight car)

I've had no real issues with clutches, nor with any of the hydraulics.

My transmission still runs and is dependable enough to get me around 750+ miles per week behind a 500rwhp motor. I personally find them to be a very dependable transmission.

Mine does do a little bit of howling and rattling though... but with the abuse that it's been put through... woulda though it?
Old 05-27-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Mine has been going strong for over 70k miles, not one single problem. The reason you hear a lot of bad things is that ppl only post when they have a problem. No one with a perfectly good tranny posts up "still going ok!"
Old 05-27-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Schitzo
How dependable is the T56 in its stock form? I am asking because I just put one in my 71 camaro and I should be driving it soon. I have never driven a car with a T56 but all I ever see when I come to this forum are problems people are having with their T56......look at the main manual trans page and see what I mean...

Either the hydraulics are messed up or gears are stuck/broken, rebuilds on low mileage transmissions.....the list is endless...

I am almost regretting having gone with this trans and I have not driven it yet.

For those who know these transmissions better, do the complaints here pretty much describe the T56 or are these just isolated cases

Keep all the posts in perspective. Noone ever posts when things are going great. When was the last time you read a post that said "50,000 trouble free, hard miles on my T56!!!". When people post its because they have a problem. For evey poster that has a problem there is probably 1000 others that have no issues at all. The fact is that the T56 transmission is a solid piece. It will last a long time. Get your car running and enjoy rowing your gears.

Andrew
Old 05-27-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

T-56 trannies are incredibly strong. There are some factory shortcomings that make up probably 80-90% of everyone's problems on here. These are stamped key synchros, aluminum 3-4 shift fork, and I think (not certain) paper blockers. I myself just re-installed my tranny after a light rebuild that takes care of all these shortcomings.

Other problems you see on here are mostly from aftermarket clutches/hydraulic master cylinders and slaves. Shimming here, McCloud adjustable there. Centerforce this, RAM that, etc etc.

I believe other than those factory shortcomings, T-56's are very strong transmissions.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a stock t56 will work for most occasions. To be reliable for continous drag or road racing just billet keys and a steel shift fork need to be installed. I believe the 01-02 have the better fork which also helps with the key issue
Old 06-05-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

dude, im a cars worst nightmare when i race and mess around on the street and highway. i shift like i need anger management. when its time to rip the street up and race....i dont F*** around lol. i bought my z28 bone stock with 21k miles, and i put so far 25k miles on it. ive had 3 other cars (imports) that the trannys couldnt handle me.....and after owning the z for 2 years, i am impressed with how much of a beatin u can thro at it. it holds its reputation for being strong and dependable. yea **** happens here and there but oh well. plus its impressive that its used in vettes, vipers, svt cobras, and 05 mustang gts (beasts of cars). my friend ran his 94 lt4 firebird m-6 about 48 times a year in a et bracket racing league for 2 years runnin slicks dumpin @ 3500rpm launches.....now 116k miles on stock t-56 w/ centorforce clutch and still drivin...recently small grindin goin into 3rd. but yea....u get the point. juss want to give a lil story and situation supportin the t-56. i think its one of the best manual trannys ive driven or owned.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

i would have to agree that the T56 is a very strong and dependable tranny and being as how the majority of the people on this board rows through the gears and goes to the track and basically beats the hell out of it on a routine basis and still have minimal problems is testament to the t56

right now my input shaft bearing is going out on mine but i think that has more to do with the previous owner
Old 06-05-2006, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grimes
Mine has been going strong for over 70k miles, not one single problem. The reason you hear a lot of bad things is that ppl only post when they have a problem. No one with a perfectly good tranny posts up "still going ok!"
That's awesome...I fell out of my chair laughing at that
Old 06-05-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess I stand corrected......I got a chance to drive my car after the swap this weekend.....so far shifting through the gears has been great.....its been a long time coming for my left foot.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

****, mine was just rebuilt

But it was covered by warranty I guess they didint noticed the Nitto's
Old 06-21-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the T56 is one of the most bullet-proof aspects of the LS1 F-body cars. Not sure what your power plant in your Camaro will be, but I can't imagine you having a problem. If you're worried at all, be sure to upgrade the hydraulics for cheap insurance and better shifting.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Launching!

WOOOOW!!! Same exact post... lol.. at least Im not the only one who thinks like this.. I see some of the same type of comments in my thread also..
Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grimes
You are absolutely right!!! never looked at it like that... great point

Quick Reply: T56 dependability