Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can you guys help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you guys help me out?

I might have a chance to get a good deal on this T56. It has just been rebuilt and everything, only problem is that I guess there is a crack in the case right by the shifter. Its shown circled in this picture, but its on the passenger side. I know this won't affect the way the tranny works, but my question is: Does fluid run up there giving it a chance to leak? The guy said that from what he was told, fluid doesn't go up there. I just wanted to check with my LS1Tech brothers. If its not gonna leak, then I'll probably buy it. Help me out guys. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should find out why it cracked there. There is splash oil in that housing and oil will weep out. The ways I can think of cracking the unit there are major propshaft/ torque arm crossmember fractures.These could also cause serious mainshaft bending. You would also want to look closely at the clutch housing/ locating dowells. How well do you trust that the repairs were done correctly? I would pass on it.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

he's right... why did it crack there??? but there wouldn't be enough fluid going there to pour out or anything... if u could get some sort of guarantee and a good price then i'd say hell yeah... get it..
Old 06-02-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is only a good deal if it keeps working, I second the pass, you will end up with a bigger head ache and wasted more money in the long run if there is a problem with it.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Get a hold of LS1joe here, he is a sponsor also and he can let you know what to do. Great guy to deal with. Heres his site http://www.t56rebuilds.com/

It may be in a spot where fluid might not matter but it could mean the differance in the integridy of the case.

Quick Reply: Can you guys help me out?