Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car jumps out of third gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pro 5.0 right here and i still have problems. The problems didnt start until after installing the pro 5.0 shifter. Thats not to say it couldnt of occured witht he factory hurst though.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GM has a bullentin on popping out of 3rd, not a bent shift fork in most cases i've seen. The updates includes new shift forks and syncros. I just had it done, well worth it, much more smooth and no more of that damn popping out.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was doing the exact same thing with the Pro 5.0 and it was the ajustment screw (stopping bolt) it was to close, i back them off a bout a 1/8" from the shifter and fixed it .
Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
If it pops out of gear either a blocker rings is worn out or the keys are broken. The longer you wait the more expensive. Even if you do not race it still upgrade for peace of mind. It is just as cheap to upgrade as it would be to rebuild back to stock. I know most regular transmission shops charge about $1600 or so just for stock rebuilds and my packages start at $890 and go from there.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
Seriously guys, thats a hell of a deal. My car was under warranty, so everything was covered. It was something like 1800 bucks to fix it. I only payed for a new clutch. But if I had to pay, I would send it to them. I've read a lot of good things.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by glhs422
New scenario:

The problem is popping out of **4th GEAR** unless you hold the shifter firmly in place while letting out the clutch, is it the same problem? A bent 3-4 shift fork?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by HAWKNYU
Yes, only now more damage is occuring. You are up to shift fork,syncros, ans shift hub/sleeve assembly. The dogs have probably boken and/or dropped out of position. but actually these would be or should be replaced in a rebuild anyway.
Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Yes and the longer you wait the more likely you will need to replace gears. If the synchro teeth on the gear are damaged you will need to replace the synchro, the gear and the slider. Try to fix it as quick as you can and it should minimize the cost.

Thanks,
Amber
T56Rebuilds.com
OK - I have a really dumb question here, but I'm trying to buy some time before a tranny rebuild.

Will it delay the damage if I don't use fourth gear? I can just shift from 3rd-5th gear when daily driving . . .

Will this work? Or is it just a dumb question... LOL...

LS1Joe - I saw your website and I definitely wish I was near your shop or had the time/skill to pull the tranny right now...
Old 07-03-2006, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Ttt Ttt

Last edited by glhs422; 07-10-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Car jumps out of third gear