Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the GREATEST LAST PICTURE EVER
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I installed a LUK Pro Gold with aluminum flywheel and have had no problems at all. I have sprayed a 150hp shot and have TR224 and headers. No slipping at all. The stock clutch went south on the 3rd hit of nitrous.
Not saying this is the best on the planet or anything. I like mine though. It is made by the same company that built the stock clutch. The springs are massive just like the stock disc and it is self adjusting. I did NOT need any shims or other special hardware for the install either.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

INMY01TA If you all had done your homework you wouldn't have put SPECs in there to begin with.
you are right, had i known all of this would have happened, i would have gone with something else last fall when i threw this junker in! but my reason for going with a spec was because my buddy had a 2000 formula with a D1SC, 12 bolt, and bolt ons along with a nice blower cam, he had a spec 3 in his car, and he loved it and was one of those rare people that had a really good clutch from them....so i figured they were good because my buddy ryan had such good luck with his.....i guess spec shipped his clutch on a "good day" and slipped up a little with mine! their quality control is second to NONE
Old 06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

THose pics look Identical to the Spec my buddy pulled out of his bird last spring. A broken spring,and the rivets had worked loose. I think the Splines had a crack also. Next f-bod I have will not be gettin a Spec
Old 06-16-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

sorry about your luck

my spec has been flawless and i beat the living hell out of it
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't get it.... people have problems with the specs - yet I have had two, abused them, removed and installed the last one NUMEROUS times with tranny rebuilds and motor swaps and still works just fine with over 10K on it???

Sorry to hear about yours.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like i said before, i think their quality control is ****. because it's either
A) i love my spec i beat on it all day and it's great ....
or
B) F*(# spec blablabla it cut my car in half while blowing to pieces blablabla.....

i don't know how you can be at either side of the spectrum in the matter of a day....
Old 06-16-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

i think the reason you hear soo much more about spec problems is because there are so many more out there than any other clutch.

there is not one aftermarket clutch out there that doesn't have any negative reports. most people never post when there isn't a problem. just my .02
Old 06-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

i've had two spec stage 3 clutches w/ spec billet flywheels (couldn't decide between 6spd or auto).

both those clutches acted perfectly the way they were supposed to. there will be chatter in the first few hundred miles, then it will start dissappearing relatively quickly (if broken in and installed correctly). don't know why these clutches are blowing up. but i've had 2 and they were perfect. i know of 2 others (friends) who have the same clutch - they love them... no problems.

just makes you wonder if it was the installer and/or the break-in.... instead of a bad clutch maybe.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Question I agree....

Originally Posted by Gary Z
It looks like the disc hub contacted the flywheel. How and why did that happen? Was this a Spec flywheel?
Looks to me as tho the rivets hit the flywheel bolt heads???

Also, was the T/O travel checked?