Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I downshifted to 3rd on the interstate....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I downshifted to 3rd on the interstate....

Now it seems like something is fucked up

I was just driving along and felt like going fast. Downshifted to 3rd and then hit 4th, then cut it down.

Now it seems whenever I put it into gear it sounds like its disconnected It still drives, but it sounds bad There is also a little bit of resistance trying to shift to 6th and I have to pull it back.... Its a little bit like that for the other gears, just not as bad. Please dont tell me I have to get my tranny rebuilt

Tomorrow morning Im going to check the tranny fluid and differential, go for the easy stuff first. I do have a small leak in the tailshaft seal and rear pinion seal. Hopefully its just low on oil If not Ill take it up to a stealership and see if they can diagnose the problem. I know a couple people who are masterminds with transmissions from my old job. Hopefully it wont come down to that though.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Teching In

I just went and test drove it again.

It has a VERY faint grinding noise when I put it into gear while the motor is building rpms. IE- I go to shift, Let go of the gas and pull it out of gear, while its building the 500rpm before it drops, it lightly grinds in the gear. When it starts dropping, it won't grind anymore. This is when the cluth is still depressed. If I release the clutch pedal, it makes no noise.

This is gonna ruin my day. Im usually in bed by now because I work 3rd shift, but I dont work tonight so Im going to try getting it in a shop before I go to bed

Oh well....
Old 06-16-2006, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Yep. Hate to say it but you probably need a rebuild. I am having mine done on monday. It makes horrible grinding noises when iam idling in traffic. And when I downshift into fourth on the highway it pops itself outta gear. So I talked to Don from Dez Racing and he told me that my synchros are junk and maybe even a bearing or two.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokin00ss
Yep. Hate to say it but you probably need a rebuild. I am having mine done on monday. It makes horrible grinding noises when iam idling in traffic. And when I downshift into fourth on the highway it pops itself outta gear. So I talked to Don from Dez Racing and he told me that my synchros are junk and maybe even a bearing or two.
Prices? Time it takes?

Im gonna take it in a few minutes to a place down here that specializes in FBodies... Hope they wont dick me over.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camarosteve
Prices? Time it takes?

Im gonna take it in a few minutes to a place down here that specializes in FBodies... Hope they wont dick me over.

Well I gave don 800 bucks. That includes parts and for him to just do the rebuild. Me and a buddie are going to pull the tranny ourselves. I will probably give him a 100 or more just for letting me use his garage and for his time. So I would say about 1000 to be on the safe side. Turn around is about 2 days give or take. He said if I get it to him by monday night then I should have it back by Wednesday at the latest. Let me know how you make out.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smokin00ss
Well I gave don 800 bucks. That includes parts and for him to just do the rebuild. Me and a buddie are going to pull the tranny ourselves. I will probably give him a 100 or more just for letting me use his garage and for his time. So I would say about 1000 to be on the safe side. Turn around is about 2 days give or take. He said if I get it to him by monday night then I should have it back by Wednesday at the latest. Let me know how you make out.
Well I gave a call to Fbody Motorsports here in Charlotte and they said they could take it in on Tuesday, my day off.

I took my dad for a ride in it(he is more mechanically inclined than I am...) and he said it sounded like the throwout bearing/clutch. Id rather have to replace that than get a tranny rebuild
Old 06-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Launching!

could also be clutch i would have that checked brfore tranny b/c thats almost what my car was doing and the tranny is fine i just need to get a new clutch......
Old 06-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

I took it in. I found out it was the throw out bearing and the pilot bearing. Replaced both and they installed the 01-02 slave master cylinder as well. Works amazing now
Old 06-20-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much did that cost you
Old 06-21-2006, 07:26 AM
12 Second Club

I wish mine was that simple. I found out after he took it apart that my pilot bearing is wasted, along with the front shaft, the front seal is junk, so are a couple of the bearings, and finally the synchros are all round off. Probably wont have the car till this weekend.