Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Guys with pressure plate bolt loosening, may have a partial explanation

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with pressure plate bolt loosening, may have a partial explanation

Well, after just putting in my new Textralia clutch I was amazed at the thick layer of paint under the bolt heads of the pressure plate bolts. Knowing something about bolted joints I can tell you that you do not want any paint for an optimum clamp load and resistance to loosening (if you look at a factory clutch you will notice it is not painted at all). So, I scraped the paint off under the bolt heads and went ahead and instaled it. I also used Red loctite on the PP bolts.

I want to ask, the guys that have had PP bolts loosen up, was there paint under your bolts?
Old 06-17-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats was a factor in my bolts backing out. I scraped the paint off before tightening the bolts back down the second time.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well my spec 3 clutch had a painted surface, but they never losened up. then again i red loc-tite'd it and torqued 'em down more then "recommended"

that is certainly a good explanation though!
Old 06-17-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So most people use lock tite??? I'm putting my clutch in next Saturday and probably need to pick some up...BTW what's usually the hardest part of the install other than the obvious taking the tranny out...Anything unforseen or any tips?? I've changed clutches before it's just each one is kinda different in it's own regard...Sorry for jacking your thread and thanks for the fyi...
Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
So most people use lock tite??? I'm putting my clutch in next Saturday and probably need to pick some up...BTW what's usually the hardest part of the install other than the obvious taking the tranny out...Anything unforseen or any tips?? I've changed clutches before it's just each one is kinda different in it's own regard...Sorry for jacking your thread and thanks for the fyi...
Yes, use RED Loctite and torque the PP bolts to more than 53 ft-lbs. I did mine at 60. Hardest part for me was mating the tranny back on the bellhousing. It's tough to line up with one person. Lots of people having trouble getting the bell housing off. Mine slid right off though.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'm putting my car on a lift and using a tranny jack...perks of being in the military and having facilities like that....Plus I'm having a buddy come along...Thanks man

Quick Reply: Guys with pressure plate bolt loosening, may have a partial explanation