Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What clutch do i have?

Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What clutch do i have?

I have a 2002 TA. what clutch do i have?? i am under the impression that i ahve a Z06 clutch in my car is that right?

reason i ask is b/c my car now has 35k on it and it is slipping.. also my clutch return spring broke about 8 months ago been fine, but do i need a new one.

also can someone explain the master/slave cylinders to me? Really confused on this stuff. i had a 97 mustang GT before it was a cable clutch so this whole hydralic stuff is new to me.

Also how good is the LS7 clutch vs. my stock cluthc in my 02 TA?? how is the holding power??

sorry for all the random questions. had to type it out fast b/c i am at work
Old 06-19-2006, 04:09 PM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I will try to answer them in order...

All 2001 and newer LS1 cars got the Z06 clutch, but it was only the pressure plate that was from the Z06, the actual clutch is the same ole LS1 unit.

Do you need a new return spring, maybe not as hydrualic pressure will push the pedal back up, but I have repalced mine everytime so I dont have to worry about it in the back of my mind.

The reason is that the mustang is a cable system, the LS1 cars use a fluid or hydrualic system. The master is the part on the pedal, the slave mounts to the front of the tranny and the input shaft runs thru the middle of it and then there is a spring between the throwout bearing and the slave. It is all one unit from the slave to the bearing.

holding power is awesome so for, I just have a little over 500 miles on mine and when I got on it the other night racing a mustang I power shifted into 4th and it barked the tires it holds that well. It feels like a stock clutch, drives like a stock clutch. So far it is doing everything I need it to do for me.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
Ok I will try to answer them in order...

All 2001 and newer LS1 cars got the Z06 clutch, but it was only the pressure plate that was from the Z06, the actual clutch is the same ole LS1 unit.

Do you need a new return spring, maybe not as hydrualic pressure will push the pedal back up, but I have repalced mine everytime so I dont have to worry about it in the back of my mind.

The reason is that the mustang is a cable system, the LS1 cars use a fluid or hydrualic system. The master is the part on the pedal, the slave mounts to the front of the tranny and the input shaft runs thru the middle of it and then there is a spring between the throwout bearing and the slave. It is all one unit from the slave to the bearing.

holding power is awesome so for, I just have a little over 500 miles on mine and when I got on it the other night racing a mustang I power shifted into 4th and it barked the tires it holds that well. It feels like a stock clutch, drives like a stock clutch. So far it is doing everything I need it to do for me.

wow thanks for all your help.. that was some good info

Search this Thread