Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slipping Clutch?

Old 06-25-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping Clutch?

Ok, I've got a stage 3 spec in the car, has about 4000 miles on it. I've noticed that it feels like its slipping on occasion.

Thing is, I can put the car in 6th at 45, and it doesnt slip at all. When I feel it slipping has been at the top of 1st gear when I've been running somebody. Tach gets to the neighborhood of 5700ish and then its feels like it slips and taps the rev limiter.

It only does it in first though, I can run the car to 6000 in 2nd and 3rd.

It also felt like it slipped on me today. I went to pass a couple cars and dropped 3rd and it felt like it slipped right around 4500, but a few miles down the road I put it in 6th at 45 and it grabbed fine.

I thought today when it did it at the top of first, maybe I hit a bump in the road and the tires jumped but its done it on smooth pavement too.

I've got LS6 intake, Lid, LT's, ORY and a cutout so its not like I'm putting down too much power for the clutch.

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody has any ideas? Throw something out there guys.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the early stages, cause my clutch started slipping in 3rd and 4th but when I would test it in 5th and 6th it wouldnt slip, a couple of weeks later 3rd-6th began to slip but my first and 2nd are still perfect.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

Definitely sounds like the clutch to me.

If you're on the gas and the speedo isn't in synch with the tach (and the wheels aren't spinning) then the clutch is slipping.

Once it starts to slip, it begins to severely wear the clutch disc each time, which makes it even more prone to slip the next time you push it hard.

If it turns out to be the clutch, I'd reccommend a GM LS6 or LS7 clutch, many guys on here have had very good luck with them.

Search this Thread