Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lucas Oil Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lucas Oil Treatment

So anyone used Lucas oil Treatment in their T56 trans??

It says right on the bottle that it helps shifting and wear when used in manual trannys, I just happened to read the label the other day at work.

My T56 likes to grind 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th when its cold, once its warmed up though its usually fine. I just recently changed the fluid to Mobil 1 ATF, which made it smoother, but didn't help with the grinding.

If you've ever seen the Lucas Oil display in the store it has two sets of gears in a clear plastic case, one with Lucas the other with regular mineral oil or something. The Lucas "climbs" and clings to the gears as you turn the crank, while the regular oil sits just at the bottom. I thought perhaps this might help in the trans, which is basically sets of gears that mesh together.

Any thoughts or experience with this stuff??
Old 06-25-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

The lucas was very hard to shift untill warmed up . after that it was still no better then the regular dex 3 but cold it was horrible. I trailer my car to the track and unless you warm it for a long time , the lucas made it very notchy.

I recommend you stay away from the Lucas.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to bobistheoilguy.com and check out the tests they do on Lucas products. Scary.

On the grinding, if you wait a beat after you clutch to put it in the next gear, does it still grind? If no, might be your clutch hydraulics. B4 my SS met it's maker, I was having problems with grinding a bit into 2nd when cold, but if I took my time shifting after clutching, no grinding. So I was going to try the drill mod to see if it was a cold fluid flow problem in the clutch hydraulics.

Also, was the M1 fluid synth? I thought I read somewhere that 98s had paper backed blocker rings and that syth could damage them.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:25 AM
Launching!

on bobistheoilguy.com it shows how the lucas makes bubbles in the oil which equals more heat in gears. which is bad.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:36 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never use anything in there other than the trans fluid.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Straight Amsoil synthetic ATF here. Going on 113K without any shifting problems!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by angel71rs
Go to bobistheoilguy.com and check out the tests they do on Lucas products. Scary.

On the grinding, if you wait a beat after you clutch to put it in the next gear, does it still grind? If no, might be your clutch hydraulics. B4 my SS met it's maker, I was having problems with grinding a bit into 2nd when cold, but if I took my time shifting after clutching, no grinding. So I was going to try the drill mod to see if it was a cold fluid flow problem in the clutch hydraulics.

Also, was the M1 fluid synth? I thought I read somewhere that 98s had paper backed blocker rings and that syth could damage them.
I checked out the tests on bobistheoilguy.com, quite interesting. Seems like the Lucas is a good concept, but the fact that it foams up and traps air in the oil makes it useless.

Good suggestion about the clutch not disengaging quickly enough when cold. I will try it out tomarrow, with the engine cold, I'll declutch, wait a second or two, and then speed shift to the next gear. If there's no grind, then I suppose it is the hydraulic clutch. I've read a couple things about the "drill mod", may have to try it, because I don't want to end up with a ruined transmission.

As far as the Mobil 1 ATF goes, I haven't had any problems with it. When its warmed up, it shifts silky smooth, no real issues to speak of. I can't see how using synthetic Dex III is bad for the transmission, as long as it exceeds the requirements (which of course M1 does) it should be fine to use in any T56.

Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Lucas Oil Treatment