Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Couldn't get in any gear? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couldn't get in any gear? Help please!

I haven't had a problem at all with my tranny and then today I was coming down an offramp up to a light and turning left and I usually get pretty low speed and put it in 2nd and let the engine slow it down the rest of the way and then continue through the turn on the throttle slightly. Well a little while ago when I went to put it in 2nd, it wouldn't go in, I pulled as hard as I felt I should without breaking something and no go. I went through the turn, made sure clutch was to the floor and tried 3rd just to see, no go, 4th, no go, stopped in the middle of the road and tried 1st, no go. Finally after getting extremely aggrevated and people were coming behind me I was able to muscle it into 1st without a grind stayed in 1st and got in a residential area to see what I was able to do.

For about 2 minutes I drove around and I would have to push in the clutch pop it out of gear(rough getting out of gear, kind of like with the clutch not pushed in) and step off the throttle and let the rpm's drop before it would go into the next gear. Stopped at a stop sign, still hard as hell getting into 1st. Finally after a while it just went back to normal, everything worked fine. I am kind of worried, it did has a slight squeek when I would push in the clutch while things were acting up, not sure what that would mean.

Any ideas as to what might be going on?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ummm dont quote me on this but maybe you might have a bubble in your system is all i can think so all you would need to do is go and check the cluch fluid and maybe its a bit low or you have a leak but if there was a bubble it would be a pain in the *** to get it to go to the floor but im not sure but thats what i think
Old 06-27-2006, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

I really need to figure this out guys, it did it again this morning. I am afraid if it keeps happening and I have to force it into gear to get it to start working that i'm gonna screw something up in the transmission... is this probably related with the throwout bearing/slave cylinder or what? Low tranny fluid? Clutch fluid? I am lost here, probably going to change out all the tranny fluid tonight just for peace of mind.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

How old is the clutch fluid? I would bet on that. Bleed it and put some good fluid in. Make sure you have a power bleeder.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

I changed out all the fluid last night and went through quite a large bottle of brake fluid to make sure all the old stuff was out, fluid is now all new.. still having issues. I bled it the messy way, just having a friend pump the brakes, hold it to the floor, open the valve, close the valve, and repeat. All the while having another friend pour to keep the master cylinder full of fluid.

Still no dice, have had nothing but problems with it today and i'm starting to hear a spinning/scratching noise while it's in gear at a stop. My money is on the slave cylinder from what i've read, a few hours ago I ordered an ls7 clutch setup & a new slave cylinder... we'll see how that goes.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

yes, its your clutch my man. i just went through the EXACT same situation with my '00. It started happening to me at work and i was like, "WTF??" So, we tore down and took out the clutch/pressure plate assembly to find that my pressure plate and throw-out bearing was shot to hell. I replaced everything that could be replaced since it was already out and viewable. The car couldn't feel better. Good Luck with yours!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Probably the slave cylinder or pressure plate. When you pull the line off the slave try pushing the clutch pedal down. You shouldn't be able to push it, meaning there's no air in the master. If you can push it down you'll need to do a thorough bleed (possible bench bleed) and get the air out of the master.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Same thing happend to me. Ended up being one of the springs on the clutch disk that had broken off.

Quick Reply: Couldn't get in any gear? Help please!