Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

quick rpm question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quick rpm question

ok when i drive i shift at 2k rpm and my 3rd gear shift fork is not right because it will go into gear and pop out of gear or just not go in sometimes. So my dad drives the car and hes like your transmissin isn't screwed up you just shift to low he said at 3k it didnt pop out. So my question is does shifting at a low rpm just driving regualr cause any wear and tear on a transmission.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

anyone know if low rpm shifting is bad?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

eh?

Cars are meant to be driven

I'm sorry but this question is like "is the sun hot?"

Or "will I burn myself if I hold my hand in a flame???"

If you don't know the answer you really shouldn't be owning and driving a performance car
Old 07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Eh? are you an idiot, if i knew the answer then i wouldn't have posted this question. And if it's so obvious why don't i have an answer. I dont care if its a stupid question i don't believe you can screw a transmission up by shifting and getting into a higher gear just to drive around town.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not a stupid question even though you did manage to get a pretty stupid reply.
I suspect the reason your dad did not get a jump out is that he shifted it into gear harder( essentially a deeper engagement) .If you have the original aluminum 3/4 shift fork, its wear is the reason you get the problem. There is an iron replacement available.
There is no extra wear in your driving mode. Drive it like you want to.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fstSS
Eh? are you an idiot, if i knew the answer then i wouldn't have posted this question. And if it's so obvious why don't i have an answer. I dont care if its a stupid question i don't believe you can screw a transmission up by shifting and getting into a higher gear just to drive around town.
You can run as low an rpm in any gear you like. The motor may splutter, judder or even stall if it can't produce the power demanded by the load/gearing.

So if you wanted you could shift from 1st @ 1500rpm straight into 5th. If the car violently juddered it probably wouldn't be doing the drive line any favours, but this would be an indirect action and not directlly related to shifting at low rpm.

If you have ever driven a manual this is basic stuff. If you have any common sense about engineering or mechanics this is basic stuff.

The question is:

"If you believe or are being told that shifting at lower rpms is bad, what exactly do you think it is doing to cause damage?"

Low rpm = less friction, less inertia, less potential and less kenetic energy, i.e. just LESS, which includes less risk, damage and wear.

If you have ever taken any physics lessons this should all be pretty obvioius.

Sorry if you felt I was having a go earlier, but this is meant to be a technical site. And the level of question would have been more appropriate for young children who can't even reach the pedals yet.

So please don't take it too seriously
Old 07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like you might have to replace the original 3/4 shift fork to an upgraded one. does it still do the problem whenever you put alot of force on the shifter when shifting to third? perhaps your dad is just using more force on the shifter because he's trying to solve the problem, where as you dont think about it when you are daily driving and might just ease it to third leisurely.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

look 300bhp i know this stuff and i do drive a manual i keep telling my dad he's an idiot because if anythnig lower rpm is using less force on the gears and hes like ohh no you gotta drive the car right, he seems to think that im wrong just because the gear pops out i told him it was a bent shift fork and the synchros are all screwed up but he dont get it. i was just trying to get facts to prove him wrong and thanks for all your replies.

i know this is elementary stuff and i don't know what else to say to him to get him to understand that its just plain and simply screwed up it might also have been caused by my clutch cuz its old and i just ordered a new one.

If you believe or are being told that shifting at lower rpms is bad, what exactly do you think it is doing to cause damage?"

thats actually funny cuz i asked him that same thnig im like ok so if thats what caused it to break how hes like ohh cuz its meant to be shifted higher your just doing it wrong.

Last edited by 1fstSS; 07-04-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, 1fstSS. I hate it when people take factors beyond the scope of the thread. Don't worry, man. They do that to me all the time on here.

You are right in that your trans isn't shifting right because of wear and not how you are shifting it! 2000 RPM is perfect for up-shifting
Old 07-05-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calhoon is right (as usual). There's a GM TSB out that addresses the 3rd gear shift fork being bent. It calls for the shift fork replacement, along with synchro replacements. I had the exact same problem in my 2000 TA

Quick Reply: quick rpm question