Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 review

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pro 5.0 review

I love it except for one thing.

It feels very nice the way it sorta has a notchy "glide" from gear to gear. 2--3 feels great. But like many others have reported, the neutral is weird. It doesn't exact return to center. There are like 2 or 3 spots the stick can chill in , in the center while it is in neutral. Weird.

I seemed to find my gears while at the track a little better. Made 4 passes, missed 4th on the last pass. Poop.

PS--I have a UMI short stick w/ an inch cut off.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does it compare with the stock hurst and UMI handle? That's the setup I'm running now and want to know if its worth spending the money to get the pro 5.0.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:50 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmard
How does it compare with the stock hurst and UMI handle? That's the setup I'm running now and want to know if its worth spending the money to get the pro 5.0.
I used to be on the same boat as you....."I love my hurst shifter and short stick. I don't miss gears so there's no reason to change!!!".

AND THEN I started to miss a shift here and there. So I ordered this to remedy it. It definitly seems easier to find gears at high rpms, just feels a little funny when returning the stick to neutral.

My friend just got a hurst billet plus. I think I will drive it and make a thread on how it compares to a pro 50 and a stock hurst.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ninetres
I used to be on the same boat as you....."I love my hurst shifter and short stick. I don't miss gears so there's no reason to change!!!".

AND THEN I started to miss a shift here and there. So I ordered this to remedy it. It definitly seems easier to find gears at high rpms, just feels a little funny when returning the stick to neutral.

My friend just got a hurst billet plus. I think I will drive it and make a thread on how it compares to a pro 50 and a stock hurst.
I never miss shifts, only time I miss shifts is when my hydrolics are failing and the engagement point goes to the floor and the clutch is not disengaging as quick as I am shifting. Thanks for the help, let me know how the hurst billet turns out. I dont know if I like how it does not return to neutral. That could get annoying.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimmard
I never miss shifts, only time I miss shifts is when my hydrolics are failing and the engagement point goes to the floor and the clutch is not disengaging as quick as I am shifting. Thanks for the help, let me know how the hurst billet turns out. I dont know if I like how it does not return to neutral. That could get annoying.
Will do. But you really should stick with your hurst if you're not missing them now. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

Ive never had a problem with the stock Hurst shifter either. When I do I guess Ill start looking into aftermarket shifters but until then Ill stick to what I know.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the problem with the "2 or 3 spots it can chill in" and, I just got replacing the slave and bleeding the **** out of everything and it doesnt chill anywhere anymore, it will return to neutral from anywhere.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Phlip00WS6
I had the problem with the "2 or 3 spots it can chill in" and, I just got replacing the slave and bleeding the **** out of everything and it doesnt chill anywhere anymore, it will return to neutral from anywhere.
Weird. I have an updated slave as my car is a 2001 and I just did the drill mod and bled my system a few weeks back. This makes me wonder if I have more bleeding to do. Clutch seems to work fine. When the rear is on stands and I put it in 1st with the clutch in....I give it gas and the wheels stay put. Hmmmmm.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
I love it except for one thing.

It feels very nice the way it sorta has a notchy "glide" from gear to gear. 2--3 feels great. But like many others have reported, the neutral is weird. It doesn't exact return to center. There are like 2 or 3 spots the stick can chill in , in the center while it is in neutral. Weird.

I seemed to find my gears while at the track a little better. Made 4 passes, missed 4th on the last pass. Poop.

PS--I have a UMI short stick w/ an inch cut off.

hey post pics of the UMI.. jimmard did and i forgot is the UMI angled or not?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
hey post pics of the UMI.. jimmard did and i forgot is the UMI angled or not?
Yes the UMI is angled towards the driver.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

I got the Pro 5.0 with LSS. Shifter feels positive, but has 2 spots itll sit in neutral. Mine seemed to get better with use. When i called the company about the neutral thing they said it was a internal problem with the tranny and since my stock hurst didnt have this problem i took it as a gain of salt. Personally i would have stayed with the stock hurst shifter and got LSS(or other short stick) and spent $200 eslewhere. I have no real big complaints with the Pro 5.0 as the neutal thing has never caused a drivability issue and doubt itll harm my transmission.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

I really like my 5.0.......and I have the LSS as well. Although I do not feel that the shifter is as notchy as everyone thinks....I really like the feel of it. I however have a problem with the bolts keep coming loose on the LSS! Does anybody else have this problem??? Is there a quick fix???
Old 07-05-2006, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

switched from stock hurst/UMI short stick to PRO 5.0./UMI short stick and it is a world of a difference, i highly recommend this shifter
Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the pro 5.0 with the speed inc, short angled (towards drivers) stick.

I love the shifter and mechanical feel of it, very precise and no neutral issues, always returns to center.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Gentlemen
I really like my 5.0.......and I have the LSS as well. Although I do not feel that the shifter is as notchy as everyone thinks....I really like the feel of it. I however have a problem with the bolts keep coming loose on the LSS! Does anybody else have this problem??? Is there a quick fix???
get the red loctite problem solved
Old 07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Gentlemen
i have the exact same problem, even with locking washers. i guess i will throw some locktite on it, but that will make it a PITA if you ever take it off
Old 07-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Launching!

Use the BLUE not the red. red is permanent(requires heat to remove) blue will hold it, works fine for me as my bolts were doing the same thing.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup, loctite will fix it. Mine kept cumming loose till I put some on there.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 6spd97ta
Use the BLUE not the red. red is permanent(requires heat to remove) blue will hold it, works fine for me as my bolts were doing the same thing.

i knew it was one of the colors.. got it mixed up thanks!

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 review