Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can you pull the tailshaft housing off w/o dropping the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 03:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can you pull the tailshaft housing off w/o pulling the tranny?

Okay, so I jacked up the car today to replace the tilshaft seal on my T-56. It leaks like a ****. I assumed it was like every other tailshaft seal I have seen in my life, and I would only need to pull the driveshaft. But, when I got under there, I noticed that the seal appeared to actually be an internal seal and the lip/seal protrudes outside of the housing.

I assumed this would be a 10 minute job, but evidently I have to pull the tailshaft housing off of the T-56. I don't want to pull the tranny, so my question is, can I remove the crossmember to drop the rear of the tranny, and then unbolt the tailshaft housing and slide it off? If so, this would be wonderful and save me lots of time. It looks like I can do it, but I just want to make sure before I try something and it ends up not working.

Also, once I am this far, are there any tricks to getting this thing in and sealing properly?

Thanks!

Last edited by dragonZ28; 07-25-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Anybody? Do I really need to pull the tailshaft housing, or am I completely wrong, and this thing can be replaced without taking off the tailsahft housing?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Launching!

No, you don't. I had to do mine and the only thing I would really recommend removing other then the driveshaft is the y-pipe. It makes access a whole lot easier.

My big tip: Don't try to tap around the edges like I did the first time. That just ended up leaking. Find a proper sized drift (about the size of a spray can top) and lube the thing up with tranny fluid before you go to put it in. Make sure everythings flush, you don't want anything binding.

And yes it does go inside, but there isn't any real problem I saw (first car I've done a seal on though)
Old 07-25-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used an EMPTY paint spray can to install mine

worked great for a 1 time use deal

-Erik
Old 07-25-2006, 10:22 PM
wrencher

Keep in mind that the tailshaft housing is meant to be installed w/ the trans in the vertical position. I dont think you will be able to get everything to line up & slide back together while it is in the horizontal position.