Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

downshift problem 94 T56

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default downshift problem 94 T56

whenever i downshift, its tough to go into gear, and from what i hear, when you go into the gear slot very slow or even moderately slow and stay in between the gear, you shouldnt be able to grind. well mine does it.mostly in 1st through 4th. even on idle it does it when i pass into the gear slot slowly in every gear. when rolling slowly (1-3mph) i go into 1st or 2nd and i hear the shifter rattle and chop from passing over the gear and feel it. and i hear the "clunk" the DS gives to the rear end whenever i back out then put it into first, or put it into 1st while slowly rolling. when the engine is off, its smooth to go into gear.

im going to replace the clutch soon as i know the idle grinding is from the flywheel and pressure plate. or the disc springs giving out. the previous owner complained of the same thing after he had the centerforce put in. do i need a shim of some sort?

anyone know why its hard to get into gear downshifting?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy long sentence / no stpping rambling thought bat man!!
If you know the clutch is bad/ you cannot expect the reciever of that operation, the trans, to work right.Post after you have corrected the clutch ills.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

us californians dont believe in periods

Originally Posted by calhoon
holy long sentence / no stpping rambling thought bat man!!
If you know the clutch is bad/ you cannot expect the reciever of that operation, the trans, to work right.Post after you have corrected the clutch ills.

Quick Reply: downshift problem 94 T56