Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 problems 4the getting stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 problems 4th getting stuck need help

Just today when I got back from getting gas. I got on it a little bit. After putting it in 4th. I pushed the clutch in a coasted for 10 secs then went to shift out. It would not leave the gear. So after about 15 sec it did but I couldn't shift into 4th. It was locking me out. These only happen for a min and then it went back to shifting fine. T56 Rebuild time???

Last edited by CChatter9; 08-17-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be the keyes...they are made of pot metal, and are not very hard to bend/break, that will stick in 4th...you have a trans rebuild comin
Old 08-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

how lonn do you think I have before. It gets stuck in there for good?? I am bad with trans
Old 08-17-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off injected whatever, you obviously don't know **** about the std keys. No,they are not pot metal and are a stamped-heat-treated steel. So , in fact, they are very hard( not soft). A worn 3/4fork( well known and documented concern) can get you stuck in 4th. This is because the sleeve gets over-extended . The keys( their real name is strut) break because of the load put on them to return under a stress condition.The fix is an iron 3/4 fork @rebuild. Some get solid/ billet struts but they are really not needed.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoon
First off injected whatever, you obviously don't know **** about the std keys. No,they are not pot metal and are a stamped-heat-treated steel. So , in fact, they are very hard( not soft). A worn 3/4fork( well known and documented concern) can get you stuck in 4th. This is because the sleeve gets over-extended . The keys( their real name is strut) break because of the load put on them to return under a stress condition.The fix is an iron 3/4 fork @rebuild. Some get solid/ billet struts but they are really not needed.
Thanks man any idea how long I can drive it for until I can save up a little more money to send it to t56 rebuilds?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon
Cool down man, Sorry, I was going off what I was told by a friend of mine that had the same problem. He told me he broke the pot metal keys. My bad, thanks for teaching me something new.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is sticking in gear( 4th is most common) it is really time now to get a rebuild.Locking you out of gear is the start but I would dig deep to get it rebuilt before you do more damage( and cost more). Little parts rotating in the oil can nick the gears.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here sticking in 3rd. But the guy who cahnged my motor out dident refill my tranny drove 100 miles of breakin and she stuck in 3rd and the front berings locked up lucky there was internal damage to gears.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Had mine get stuck in 4th for good. I was in the backseat kicking the shifter and it wouldnt come out
Old 08-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Banned

T56 Rebuilds the way to go?
Old 08-19-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RaNsOm
Had mine get stuck in 4th for good. I was in the backseat kicking the shifter and it wouldnt come out
Had that happen. Took me 35-40 min to get it out of 4th again while it was parked and turned off. The trick seemed to be rocking the car back and forth and jiggling the shifter. After a few min of that retarded act, she popped loose.

Funny thing was, it came without warning, on a very easy shift during downtown driving. Something gave way and it was done.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
Funny thing was, it came without warning, on a very easy shift during downtown driving. Something gave way and it was done.
yup same here. The initial problem came while making my only 150+ high speed run, got stuck in 4th on a downshift afterwards, but was able to get it freed up in about 2 minutes. A couple months down the road I was out racing a Mustang and it did it. Again, I was able to get it loose. But one afternoon out driving with my buddy on an easy shift it got stuck and I had to limp home in 4th gear and she was toast.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CChatter9
Just today when I got back from getting gas. I got on it a little bit. After putting it in 4th. I pushed the clutch in a coasted for 10 secs then went to shift out. It would not leave the gear. So after about 15 sec it did but I couldn't shift into 4th. It was locking me out. These only happen for a min and then it went back to shifting fine. T56 Rebuild time???
Having the same issue on my '02 CETA...did you re-build or just repair the sleeves? It's only happened a couple of times when getting on it, have to pull over holding the clutch in, then it comes out and fine.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happened to mine when my car was just a few months old. Ended up getting a rebuild done under warranty for a different reason.

Quick Reply: T56 problems 4the getting stuck.