Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Picking up a used clutch and pressure plate, what else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up a used clutch and pressure plate, what else do I need?

My spec 3 is slipping like crazy (has about 20k miles on it or so) and I hated it anyway so I bought a more friendly clutch for daily driving from someone else on this board. He said it includes the clutch and the pressure plate. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I'll need? When I got the SPEC clutch I got a new flywheel and the upgraded hydros, so I don't think I'll have to replace those will I? What about this throwout bearing business? I'm on a VERY tight budget, which is why I'm buying a used clutch (800 miles on it) in the first place. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using a pilot bearing, change it (brass bushing = leave it). Chances are the bearing is fine but it's a $2 part, just do it. Throwout bearing is cheap insurance, why not do that. As far as flywheel, you need to resurface yours. Would not be a bad idea to have the whole assembly re-balanced. Master & slave can stay as long as they are problem free.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by keliente
If you are using a pilot bearing, change it (brass bushing = leave it). Chances are the bearing is fine but it's a $2 part, just do it. Throwout bearing is cheap insurance, why not do that. As far as flywheel, you need to resurface yours. Would not be a bad idea to have the whole assembly re-balanced. Master & slave can stay as long as they are problem free.
Where can I pick up the throwout and pilot bearings? I don't think I've had any problems with the master and slave, so I won't worry about those for now. I will resurface the flywheel (where can I go to get that done for cheap?). What does rebalancing the assembly involve, how much would it cost, and where can I get it done? Lots of questions I know, but it's my first time not having enough money to just buy a new kit, so I want to make sure I don't leave anything out. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KeyserWS6
Where can I pick up the throwout and pilot bearings? I don't think I've had any problems with the master and slave, so I won't worry about those for now. I will resurface the flywheel (where can I go to get that done for cheap?). What does rebalancing the assembly involve, how much would it cost, and where can I get it done? Lots of questions I know, but it's my first time not having enough money to just buy a new kit, so I want to make sure I don't leave anything out. Thanks!

Anyone? Pleeeeeeeeease?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KeyserWS6
Any machine shop can do the flywheel...charge anywhere from $25-$50. They should also be able to balance it for you at that same place.

You can get a new pilot bushing at o' reillys, the throwout bearing from GM. When you did the hyraulics before did you upgrade to the 01-02 stuff?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by keliente
Any machine shop can do the flywheel...charge anywhere from $25-$50. They should also be able to balance it for you at that same place.

You can get a new pilot bushing at o' reillys, the throwout bearing from GM. When you did the hyraulics before did you upgrade to the 01-02 stuff?
Yes on the hydraulics.

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully my flywheel isn't in too bad of shape.