Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about 2.5 hours for me on the floor
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

usually about 3 days, not gonna lie. Im in the process of it right now! But im swapping trannies which in thoery should take less time. but First you get the car in the garage, get it up in the air and wait a friend stops by to help but only sets you back an hour telling you about his day. Get the tranny out, damn the flywheel has got heat spots all over it.... have it resurfaced. Get a call next day its ready. Get back on it after work to break the pilot bearing tool. Go exchange it and break the next one. Exchange it to find you've broke all theirs. Get the pilot bearing out and alas can't find the damn alignment tool, o yea a friend borrowed it. Cant get it till tomm. Finally get it all back together and you always have that one bolt you forget to tighten, my case its been the tourque arm twice. The first time i burnt the you know what outa my arm on the cat tightening it on the side of the road with no jack. Ha i know we all have these stories, when all goes as planned i can do it in 3hrs give or take i dont rush it, cause i dont have to i guess. But the best part of it... i love doin it, its a pain but i love workin on her.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

somebody do my clutch!! il rent strippers and buy beer!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:11 AM
Banned

bring it to me!!!! I did mine!!! w00t easy money...and your close to me!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Blackmagic65ss
usually about 3 days, not gonna lie. Im in the process of it right now! But im swapping trannies which in thoery should take less time. but First you get the car in the garage, get it up in the air and wait a friend stops by to help but only sets you back an hour telling you about his day. Get the tranny out, damn the flywheel has got heat spots all over it.... have it resurfaced. Get a call next day its ready. Get back on it after work to break the pilot bearing tool. Go exchange it and break the next one. Exchange it to find you've broke all theirs. Get the pilot bearing out and alas can't find the damn alignment tool, o yea a friend borrowed it. Cant get it till tomm. Finally get it all back together and you always have that one bolt you forget to tighten, my case its been the tourque arm twice. The first time i burnt the you know what outa my arm on the cat tightening it on the side of the road with no jack. Ha i know we all have these stories, when all goes as planned i can do it in 3hrs give or take i dont rush it, cause i dont have to i guess. But the best part of it... i love doin it, its a pain but i love workin on her.
Funny, but it's true!!

That's sorta how my A4 --> M6 swap went ... except for me, half the problem was that I had to keep driving over to my Dad's place to get more tools that I realized I didn't have that I needed . Just getting all the parts was the other half of the problem (no fault to the guy I bought from ... most of THAT problem was the stupid shipping companies ). Heck, the quick & easy part was getting the flywheel machined ... dropped it off ~2pm on a FRIDAY and they had it ready for me in like ~1 hr! Oh, and then my buddy insisted on NOT using the tranny jack, and instead said he could "bench-press" the T56 up into place ... next time??? TRANNY JACK!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Yea... i just got home from work the bad part for me is i have school at night.. so i drop off the flywheel by the time its done im in school. And of course they close the same time i get out so i have to wait to get it the next day... So if all goes as planned my trans will be back in tonite and shouldn't have to come out till i destroy this clutch. I got to say Franco at lattof chevy did an excelent job building my t56, lets just see if it can handle my motor lol. Nothing is ever guaranteed for me lol.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

O... and i got a method of pulleys and ropes to get that bas-tard in! lol no just good ole' man power, its a pain but havin some big friends helps alot!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Now try doing it that fast on a C5

Takes me about that long now to do my vette but its ALOT more work...especially if you have LT headers.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

it takes me around 2 hrs to do it by myself taking my time.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

takes <2 hours to do the gto. 4th clutch here i come!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

took me about 1hr on a lift with all the high dollar tools for clutch come to find out it was the slave and about 5hrs total to rebuild
Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Banned

it takes me 1hr
Old 08-22-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can do it in 2 1/2 hours by myself on the floor without a problem..

I have done this on 3 3rd gen cars,
2 lt1 cars
2 ls1 cars

So its a lot easier now that i have done it a bunch of times.I can do an automatic tranny swap in about 3 1/2 hours but takes two people to lift it in place so its not totally by myself when i do an automatic.

Quick Reply: Fastest clutch swap