Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Calling Cartek....I have a gear question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Calling Cartek....I have a gear question.

I set my new Richmond gear to a backlash of 0.010" for my M6. Should there be a mild thump when go from decelerating to acceleration with a quick throttle opening? Or is there something wrong?
Old 06-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Calling Cartek....I have a gear question.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Gold Phoenix:
<strong>I set my new Richmond gear to a backlash of 0.010" for my M6. Should there be a mild thump when go from decelerating to acceleration with a quick throttle opening? Or is there something wrong?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gold Phoenix, going from the stock back lash of .007"-.008" to .010" will make the drive train slack more pronounced when going from acceleration to deceleration but it should be just a slight increase in feel from stock. A few things that could cause this is excessive back lash (maybe it's not at .010" and it's more), you could have a bad trans mount, worn transmission internals, bad U-joint, the rear preload may be wrong, if the preload is wrong or not there at all when checking back lash by hand it might check out fine but when the power from the engine is applied it will force the bearings apart and cause excessive movement. Check the back lash again, it might not be right.

Julio