Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help, Clutch not going into gear at higher RPM's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Clutch not going into gear at higher RPM's?

Slight Problem...Looking at buying an 02 Z06 from this guy, Adam L. in Kentucky tomorrow who has mentioned a problem with the car.

I spoke with the previous owner of the car, before Adam L., who told me when he traded the car in, back in June, that the clutch was going bad and needed to be replaced ASAP.

Adam changed out the clutch and flywheel with a RAM Clutch and Lightened Flywheel a few weeks ago, and has had problems with it not wanting to go into gear at the higher RPM's.

He said the car shifts fine at the lower RPM's, but whenever you go into the higher RPM', it's hard to get into gear.

Any ideas?

I'm meeting him at 2 p.m. tomorrow, and just want to try to figure out what I may be getting myself into repairs wise...
Old 09-09-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drill Mod. www.installuniversity.com
Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's gotta be more reasons than this..

What should I look for when I test drive the car today?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id recommend following DaGeneral's advice.......thats why he is dageneral ya know!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drill mod is an issue if you're making fast shifts from gear to gear at high RPM... Kinda like in a 1/4 mile run (especially for the 2 -> 3 shift). If he's talking about say taking it up to 5k in 2nd, holding for a few secs, shifting to 3rd and there's resistance coming out of 2nd or going into 3rd the drill mod isn't gonna fix this.

Assuming you're talking about all shifts at high RPM, not just slamming gear to gear one after the other..... Could be that the hydraulics have contaminated fluid or air in them and need to be flushed/bled. Could be a clearance issue that the slave isn't fully engaging the pressure plate (different thickness flywheel, clutch that requires shims etc..). Could be something relatively simple or could turn out to be an expensive PITA. My concern would be the problems existing with aftermarket flywheel and clutch because you don't know about the install, or quality of the parts going in.

Quick Reply: Help, Clutch not going into gear at higher RPM's?