Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch wont bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Clutch wont bleed?

Hey guys,

I just got my LS7 clutch done, and everything went fine (8hours of work), and then I bled the clutch and after I did the first start, the clutch engages about a 1/2" off the floor. Before with just stock clutch it would engageat the top of the clutch pedal (ideal). So I went back and bled it alot more. It had some dirty fluid, so I bled it ALOt both times to get that all out of there. Well after the second time of thoroughly bleeding it, it engages about an 1" off the floor. Only slightly better. When I did the clutch, I did replace the slave with an 02 slave cylinder brand new. So I new that would be dry new, so thats why I bled it alot, and its still not right. I am breaking it in all this week and hitting the track this weekend. Obviously it will drive right now, but its not perfect. Does anyone have any ideas, or know something I might have missed? I cant think of anything. I mean I am pretty sure I am bleeding it correctly. My method was as follows:

1. Have friend pump clutch 3-4 times and then have the clutch pushed to the floor.
2. I open bleeder valve for about 3-5 seconds and then close it.
3. My friend brings clutch pedal up to original postion.
4. Repeat about 12 times.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I ould much appreciate it. Thanks guys,
Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when going to an after market clutch usally every one changes the master cylinder to a (adjustable mecloud), if u do change the master recomend u do the drill mod. eveen if your car is stock.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a problem like that when i replaced my clutch. I repalced the whole system and it took me FOREVER to get the clutch to bleed. I actully gave up the night that i got the clutch in and the next day i tryed it again and after like an hour i got it to were i needed it. and i still need to bleed it some more cause i still have an air bubble in it.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Hey guys,

I just got my LS7 clutch done, and everything went fine (8hours of work), and then I bled the clutch and after I did the first start, the clutch engages about a 1/2" off the floor. Before with just stock clutch it would engageat the top of the clutch pedal (ideal). So I went back and bled it alot more. It had some dirty fluid, so I bled it ALOt both times to get that all out of there. Well after the second time of thoroughly bleeding it, it engages about an 1" off the floor. Only slightly better. When I did the clutch, I did replace the slave with an 02 slave cylinder brand new. So I new that would be dry new, so thats why I bled it alot, and its still not right. I am breaking it in all this week and hitting the track this weekend. Obviously it will drive right now, but its not perfect. Does anyone have any ideas, or know something I might have missed? I cant think of anything. I mean I am pretty sure I am bleeding it correctly. My method was as follows:

1. Have friend pump clutch 3-4 times and then have the clutch pushed to the floor.
2. I open bleeder valve for about 3-5 seconds and then close it.
3. My friend brings clutch pedal up to original postion.
4. Repeat about 12 times.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice. I ould much appreciate it. Thanks guys,
Try this way, you are bleeding the clutch imporoperly

1) have friend pump clutch 4-5 times
2) tell friend to take foot off of clutch(dont push in pedal)
3) now you open the bleeder(it will not pour out)
4) have friend push clutch to floor and hold it there(this is when the fluid will pour out, so watch out)
5) you close bleeder
6) friend pumps clutch back up 4-5 times

I think you'll be suprised at how much more efficient this way is.....only 4-5 times TOPS will fully bleed clutch system. If that does not fix your problem, you may have a more serious problem

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned

http://performanceworks1.com/ls1_clutch_bleeding.htm
Old 09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Try this way, you are bleeding the clutch imporoperly

1) have friend pump clutch 4-5 times
2) tell friend to take foot off of clutch(dont push in pedal)
3) now you open the bleeder(it will not pour out)
4) have friend push clutch to floor and hold it there(this is when the fluid will pour out, so watch out)
5) you close bleeder
6) friend pumps clutch back up 4-5 times

I think you'll be suprised at how much more efficient this way is.....only 4-5 times TOPS will fully bleed clutch system. If that does not fix your problem, you may have a more serious problem

Good luck!
Thanks man, I thought of maybe doing it like that. Sounds like it should work pretty good. I am going to try that.

Quick Reply: Clutch wont bleed?