Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Newb ? bout Double clutching

Old 09-17-2006, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb ? bout Double clutching

If this has been brought up I'm sorry just point me in the right direction!

So whats the advantage of Double clutching in racing? I understand when a car becomes unsyncronized you can double clutch to resyncronized so it shifts better. How does double clutching make you go faster? I hear lots of people talking about it and it being quicker, but wouldnt just pushing in the clutch and shifting be faster? Someone please expalin this to me. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whoever told you that double clutching is faster has been watching too much Fast and the Furious. The fastest way to shift is to push in your clutch, switch gears and release your clutch as quickly as possible. Powershifting is at the owner's discretion.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rollinna65
Whoever told you that double clutching is faster has been watching too much Fast and the Furious. The fastest way to shift is to push in your clutch, switch gears and release your clutch as quickly as possible. Powershifting is at the owner's discretion.

lol...true, but your wrong in one area...the fasted way is power shifting.

double clutching is for when cars didn't have syncros..now they do...
Old 09-17-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

fastest way is gas to the floor and rip shift into the next gear. no clutch

non synchroed trans only.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

No clutch? I can do it where I barely have to push down the clutch pedal on my worn out shitty dual friction centerforce but not using it, hmm...
Old 09-17-2006, 05:03 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a proshifted transmission....That will sove your problems. No clutch at all. Straight cut gears and bye-bye brass internals!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

Ok well that clears it up for me as well as confirms what my thoughts were about it. thanks guys
Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
lol...true, but your wrong in one area...the fasted way is power shifting.

double clutching is for when cars didn't have syncros..now they do...
Isn't speed shifting just as fast as power shifting. I thought the only difference was when powershifting you leave the gas on the floor.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

double clutching !!!!!!!

that's some funny ****. too many movies for sure. unless your racing a 1948 dump truck.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baldwintpenguin
If this has been brought up I'm sorry just point me in the right direction!

So whats the advantage of Double clutching in racing? I understand when a car becomes unsyncronized you can double clutch to resyncronized so it shifts better. How does double clutching make you go faster? I hear lots of people talking about it and it being quicker, but wouldnt just pushing in the clutch and shifting be faster? Someone please expalin this to me. Thanks!

double clutching is good if your driving a bus.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay to clear it up......

If you're talking racing, double clutching is used in road racing. It allows you to downshift at high RPM smoothly, mainly when entering a corner. Here's the idea... you're ***** out on a straight heading for a corner. You've gotta slow to take the turn. The longer you wait before slowing the faster you're gonna be. You're gonna want to be in the right gear coming out of the corner, and slow the car as fast as possible (while not smoking the brakes). Your first choice is ramming it into the lower gear, making the synchros scream, using more brakes while you're waiting to get into gear, and spinning the tires when you let the clutch out (BAD when driving a high horsepower car hard into a corner). The alternative is clutch in, shift out of higher gear, clutch out, rev the engine, clutch in, shift to lower gear (you'd be surprised how fast you can do this). This causes the synchros to work less, so if you do it right the trans will immediately pop smoothly into the lower gear. When you release the clutch you wont smash the driveline and spin the tires and you'll be able to pull big downshifts to be in the right gear coming out of a corner for immediate acceleration (or downshift mid corner without putting on a drifting demonstration).

Double clutching has no place in drag racing as it has no effect on upshifts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb ? bout Double clutching