Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

throwing a code after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throwing a code after clutch install

i just installed a clutch about 2 weeks ago and now im gettin the P0704 code. It is the clutch switch sensor, says its malfunctioning. any ideas how to fix this?
Old 06-30-2002, 12:23 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: throwing a code after clutch install

You may have left something disconnected on the tranny. Go back and check everything.

josh
Old 06-30-2002, 01:53 AM
I can shift faster than you.

I'm assuming you installed an adjustable master cylinder as well? If so, I got this same code after installing mine. It is nothing to worry about. I cleared the code and it hasn't come back since. It is just the PCM freaking out b/c the clutch switch is not functioning properly because of where you have the m/c adjusted.

Just look under the dash to make sure you didn't damage it.

Jason
Old 06-30-2002, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

jason-yea i installed an adj. master. i thought the same thing, but i cleared it and it came back again later that day. maybe ill just check into the switch to see if it is broken or maybe just order a new one and throw it in
Old 07-01-2002, 07:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I put the Ram in my buddies 01 WS6 he threw a code. I dont remember the #, but it was the crank position sensor relearn. Had to take it to RP and throw the Tech II on and reset it. Something to do with changing the harmonics slightly.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE HAS THIS PROBLEM TOO! I got his SES code too. I replaced the switch with a new GM one and reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery for about 1 hour. Drove the car on and off for about 2 weeks and bam the SES lights back on. I had my bud scan it and its the dredded P0704 code and its stored and PRESENT. Someone has to know how to fix this.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't get the SES light when I did mine but my cruise control wouldn't work. If your cruise isn't working then the switch is definitely not closing when you let the clutch out. I can't remember exactly how to take the switch out of its bracket but when you get underneath the dash you will figure it out I'm sure. All I had to do for mine was give it a few turns and pop it back in then..VOILA! I had cruise again. Hopefully that is all you're gonna need to do as well. Good luck.

Jay
Old 07-02-2002, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Had the same problem with my RAM. Here is how to fix it. Look where your clutch pedal is and follow it up. There is a soloniod the clutch is supposed to press in when you have the clutch up (you will see it). Its not making contact with that solenoid switch anymore because you have the clutch set lower. The soloniod is adjustable (threaded) and you can turn it lower, the only problem I had was I couldnt figure out how to disconnect it so I unplugged the brake pedal and something else also so I could turn the solenoid lower with looping the wirs with it.

Quick Reply: throwing a code after clutch install