Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Gurus get in here !

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question T56 Gurus get in here !

Hi. Here is the delema. LS1, Transmission is a 95 T56, Input Shaft is ..95 T56 input shaft. Front of the transmission is off a 01 T56, so that it bolts up to the block. Now to the problem: My internal slave cylinder, the inside of it getting eaten up by the input shaft.

Is there an aftermarket internal slave that would fit 95 input shaft, but 01 front part of the transmission? If not, how hard it is to switch the input shaft?

Thank you.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

You need to change over to an LS1 input shaft. The LT1 input shaft is only 9.25", where the LS1 is 10.75". There's no way the LT1 input is even in the pilot bearing. The reason your slave is getting damaged, is because there is nothing supporting the end of the input shaft. Every time you press the clutch pedal, all the weight of the clutch is riding on the input shaft, causing it to wobble around.
Anyway, you need to set your tranny into a 5 gallon bucket, with the shifter end pointing down. This way the front adapter plate will be facing straight up. Remove the 11 bolts, then remove the plate (front bearing retainer). Once this is off, you can easily remove the input shaft. You might have the wiggle the countershaft to the side a bit, but it should take little effort. Clean off all the sealant, and put on a thin layer of RTV when you put it back on. Also, when re-installing the plate, line up the shift rails into the 2 holes as youre lowering the plate back onto the transmission case. It's a lot easier than it sounds. Hope this helps!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not good advice for/from amatures. You had better include a checking of the endplay on the input gear shim or a revisit of the repair will surely come around.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:08 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by calhoon
Not good advice for/from amatures. You had better include a checking of the endplay on the input gear shim or a revisit of the repair will surely come around.
I typed that out too fast, and forgot to put that detail in there. That doesn't make it all bad advice
9 times out of 10, you can use the original shims and be just fine. However, if there is no play in the input shaft, and it is still easy to turn, then it's ok. If it takes effort to turn, then the shim needs to be thinner. If it has a very small amount of wobble, then it is fine. The spec is 0.000" to 0.002".

BTW, the tranny has to be sitting horozontally on the ground in order to get accurate end play measurements.

Last edited by TDP; 10-18-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The spec is actually .0005 to .0035 inches. and measuring wobble at the front is not a really good way to accurately measure this. Thats why I stated this is best left to those who can/ have done this properly.I am quite sure it gets done all sorts of ways. I was just giving advise on the most risk-free repair.