Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do a Steel or Aluminum flywheel?? ls1 Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know for a fact that rev quickness increased. I have a buddy with an all stock car except for a couple bolt ones and he has a light weight flywheel. The difference between how fast he motor revs is a pretty big difference. For instance, in the 99, before i took it apart, the car would rev up, and back down again before the tach would even show the RPM max. Whether or not the tach was slow or inaccurate I dont know. But I know a couple stock LS1 guys and their tachs seem to work spot on.

That I think just allows things to spin up alittle faster. Im guessing the lighter the car...the more you would feel the extra ability to rev quick.

Justin
Old 11-08-2006, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The aluminum fidanza has another advantage, it's built out of high strength material and is rated to a higher rpm than stock or stock steel replacement.

Anyhow, all of the theory regarding mass and rotational force and resistance is much ado about nothing based upon my personal experience changing from the stock steel to the light weight aluminum. It works fine.

Quick Reply: Do a Steel or Aluminum flywheel?? ls1 Fbody