Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

harder to shift into 3rd?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default harder to shift into 3rd?

well my 3rd gear is poping out more and more often...

and now i notice its a little stiff to put into the position coming from 2nd only when driving.

could the worn out trans mount make it like that and pop out? or the shift fork is bent to ****?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by @nthony
well my 3rd gear is poping out more and more often...

and now i notice its a little stiff to put into the position coming from 2nd only when driving.

could the worn out trans mount make it like that and pop out? or the shift fork is bent to ****?
Anything is possible, really. Is it a stock shifter, or an aftermarket one with stop bolts?? If the stop bolts are adjusted wrong, it could make it pop out of gear.

If its not the stop bolts, my next guess would be either a damaged shifter (unlikely but still possible) or bent shift forks. If its the forks, its going to require tearing into the trans to fix the problem.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

i think its a stock shifter. it has 2 bolts on the side of the stick, and it has 2 curves on it. it leans towards the drivers side in neutral.

im guessing the shift forks. ive never missed 3rd ever... it used to pop out every so ofter, but now it does frequently. only when i let the clutch out after shifting.

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Anything is possible, really. Is it a stock shifter, or an aftermarket one with stop bolts?? If the stop bolts are adjusted wrong, it could make it pop out of gear.

If its not the stop bolts, my next guess would be either a damaged shifter (unlikely but still possible) or bent shift forks. If its the forks, its going to require tearing into the trans to fix the problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've probably got a bent 3/4 shift fork. Common problem, and GM has a TSB for this. It's a common upgrade to switch over to a steel fork from the aluminum one. If your trans mount is turly busted it's not helping matters any, get it replaced, it's cheap and easy to do.

Quick Reply: harder to shift into 3rd?