Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mighty Vac Didn't Work....Bubbles and Bubbles...Searched & Nada

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mighty Vac Didn't Work....Bubbles and Bubbles...Searched & Nada

I've been searching and searching over the last couple of days for a solution to my pedal problem. I replaced my master w/ a stocker yesterday and bench bled it and installed it. Bled it under the car a few times and thought all was good. Now the pedal has about 2" of play in it before you get any pressure.

So today I borrow a Mighty vac and I have literally been out there for the past 30 minutes pumping and pumping that damn pedal. It just bubbles and bubbles and bubbles. The fluid stays about the same spot in the air line and in the reservoir. Never goes down, but bubbles and more bubbles come up. But after 30 minutes and probably 300 clutch pushes, not any better at all. Would it work better if the car was running?

Is there anything else I can try? Even after stopping pushing the pedal it still bubbles for a minute, but I'm finding that most have good results after 10 min or so. I've got nothin.

Oh and one more thing. The pedal WILL go down about 2" and stick itself at times. It will just stay there and not move until I touch it and bring it back up. It will move itself to the point of engagement and just stay there. I have no idea what to do.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here man. some people say that you have to let it go for over an hour. doesnt make any sense to me. does your release the same pattern of bubbles over and over again? like 5 small bubbles, a few seconds pause, then the same 5 bubbles? lather rinse repeat?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Had the same problem a few weeks ago,I spent 4 hours messing with that damn thing and I finally pulled it out with resevoir attached (minus slave of course)and bench bled it. I lightly clamped it in my bench vise with the braided hose up and at the highest point I let the hose hang over the side. I used a small screwdriver to push the plastic valve in on the hose and had a buddy help me bleed it like it was in the car hooked up. My thought was that this way all the air would be forced out and there were not pockets for air to get trapped in. Ever notice the bleaders on your calipers? They are on top for a reason.I put it back in the car as a complete unit(did not remove resevoir) and gravity bled the system one last time and
Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

maybe you have a bad connection somewhere letting air leak into the lines. Making no backpressure to push the pedal back up??? Not sure just guessing
Old 10-24-2006, 10:05 PM
FormerVendor

Try bleeding from the top of the resivour, works like a charm for me.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mity Vac destorys the seals in the master cylinder. The reason bubbles keep coming up is because the seals in the master have flipped around and now they are letting air in under the vaccum. Happened to me. Bench bleed before installing the master, plus traditional bleeding will solve the problem.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people get bubbles from the hose connection to the reservoir. It was only a zip tie. A few guys with power bleeders replaced the zip tie with a hose clamp and the problem went away.

If you are still getting bubbles, it could be a seal issue as stated above.

Quick Reply: Mighty Vac Didn't Work....Bubbles and Bubbles...Searched & Nada