Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0 install, stick cut and bent, with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pro 5.0 install, stick cut and bent, with PICS

Hey all. A quick disclaimer. All of this is on a 87 Trans AM LS1/T56 conversion. So even though I have the same console as you all...its still on a different car.

Car had a B&M ripper when I got it. I didnt like it..and it was too tall. I had to stretch my arm to hit 3rd... Got the Pro 5.0 for my b-day and installed it today. Here are my pics and how I modified the stick. I still might get a LSS or a WS6 Store stick.

The shifter may seem higher to everyone...but its because the 4th gen console sits lower on the tunnel in the 3rd gen...giving it the apearance of being taller than it is. Ok on to the pics..

Starting off...

The upper left hole was stripped..so I bought a helicoil kit. So easy and fixed the problem great. I also ran an 8x1.25 tap down the other holes to clean all the RTV and crap out of them.

New shifter...

The old and new next to each other...

I decided to make a rubber seal to help with vibes and sealing. Seems to have worked great. Its from an ACE hardware store. Came as two squares...the other one was about twice as thick.

Pro 5.0 installed...

Cut the 4th gen boot to fit over the shifter. Instructions had a template to make it a nice snug fit. Help with my console clearance as well...so that was a bonus.

I wanted it short...so this is how much I cut off. I also wanted it angled back towards me some. So I took the stick, and put it in my press. After alittle heat and pressure I bent it back about 5 or so degrees. When I hit 3rd, my elbow is still relaxed and Im not reaching. Just about perfect...

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 10-29-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here it is all buttoned up...

I believe this is neutral...

And finally...this is first...I think.

Along with the shifter install, I also drained the still fresh dexron III and put in Penzoil Syncromesh.

First impressions of shifter install/fluid change are great. The trans seems much smoother now. I have almost zero noise from the shifter. Just a little noise every once in awhile, and it goes away right away. The car is so noisy anyway so it doesnt bother me. 2-3 shift is absolutly wonderful now. No thinking about it. No hunting. No worries. Slam it forward and go. 5-4 is nice as well. 5-3 is actually possible now. haha.

Like I said...I still want it alittle lower maybe. I took as much thread off as I felt comfortable with. Im loving it so far though. I have to try to bleed the clutch some more. I still have weird engagment sometimes. I want to see if someone around me can power bleed it.

Any questions/comments???

Justin
Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that looks awesome! Good work on making it fit you perfectly. The shifter has a TON to do with how much enjoyment you have while driving. And that is exactly why i rock the hurst pistol grip on the stock hurst shifter w/ a ws6 store 6.5" stick. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:15 AM
TECH Veteran

isnt the writing on the base supposed to be on the bottom?

looks good.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as I nkow thats the only way it will fit. Dropped right on, holes lined up... Besides, assuming the folks at Pro 5.0 installed the handle correctly (came assembled), then it has to go the way I have it. Otherwise the shifter handle would be pointing to the passenger and hitting the console. Its how the B&M was oriented as well in the other pics

Thanks for the compliments!! Drove it to work this morning and Im loving the new setup so much better. So much more relaxed while driving. And the syncromesh seems to have made a difference in the smoothness department. I gotta get things really hot and do some gear banging before Ill know for sure. Been taking it easy lately...

Justin
Old 10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

looks good.

I hate the Pro 5.0 though..

ws6 store short stick on the b&m ripper and get gangster.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

A short stick on the Ripper??? I cant change the stick on my ripper. Its all one peice. And the spring design for center return sucked. It just felt sloppy. Maybe it was old and worn out (second owner), but the Pro 5.0 feels much more precise. And I love the notchy feel. All i hvae to do is use the palm of my hand and push right up and I hit 3rd every time with it. Sometimes the B&M would let me hit the gate... Does the version of the ripper that you have have a removable stick????

Seems to be all preferences....all the aftermarket shifts seem to have good advantages...and they have there disadvantages as well.

Justin
Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

You put RTV on both sides of the rubber piece, right?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uh yeah. Not new to sealin things up I used rtv on both sides... Put it on the shifter, put the gasket in position, layed a small bead around the trans opening, let the rtv set up for a few minutes. Bolted it up. No leaks as of today. Last time when I re-installed the B&M (had it off to get drivetrain in before hole was cut in floor) I only used RTV. It seeped fluid almost immediatly. And I didnt drive it for a week or so after I sealed it up. This time it seems sealed up nice and tight.

After another full day of driving with it...I totally love it. Quiet as a church mouse too. I havent heard so much as a peep out of it today. If I ever dive back into the console, and get things apart to the point that I can get the stick back off...Im going to bend it back towards me a couple more degrees. Been thinking about trying the LSS, but I think Im good with this for awhile. I wish I looked shorter...but like I said the way the console sits pretty much screws that up.

Justin
Old 10-31-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed mine today (why I asked) and used my LSS instead of the stick that came with it. It doesn't feel right. It's steeply angled towards the front/right. Reverse is a couple millimeters from the console and first gear is a knuckle-buster. I'm going to see if I can bend the pro5.0 stick like yours and see if its any better or I might just get the WS6 store stick.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its angled towards the front and towards the passenger side (right)???? If so something doesnt sound right. Can you take a pic of how it looks? With the LSS and all, it should point to the drivers side (left). I dont think the LSS tilts back any though..just to the left.

Did you orient the shifter correctly? Someone mentioned that they thought the writing "Power Tower" should go towards the back of the car. Opposite of how I have it. Im thinking you probably could install it that way. But it would cause the shifter to point forward more. But its possible that you cant install it the wrong way...

Anyway see if you can figure it out...or snap a pic for us.

Justin
Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's installed right, its just the stick goes straight up and the shifter is a bit to the right.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Looks great man!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Looks real nice. Get the WS6 Store short stick. Cheaper. And does the same job.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The WS6 store stick is straight though, not angled at all. It sits off to the right a ways. I made my own short stick that fits my B&M Hammerhead shift ****. Works good and its comfortable. I angled it towards me and back.

Good idea on the rubber gasket, i might have to try that over the winter to help get rid of some noise.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually I think Im going to keep the shifter the way it is. LSS will still not come back towards me. So the only thing I might change, is I might bend the stick back a couple more degrees. But Im loving it. My 2-3 shift has progressed and I can drive really aggressivly now. Hitting the 2-3 with confidence makes a world of difference on the street...where you usually have to quit at the end of 3rd. Atleast around me...and not on the highway.

Thanks for the comments!

Justin

Quick Reply: Pro 5.0 install, stick cut and bent, with PICS