Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

axle shakes in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006 | 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Default axle shakes in reverse

so i got some free time yesterday to get under my car and check things out, theres always ben some play in the rear end which has ben slowly getting worse and worse but i just assumed like a jackass that it was bushings cause nothing looked loose, broken or disconnected form anything . anyways after i got my tranny rebuilt this summer i brought it to this shop that i thought did decent work to have them re-install everything cause i wanted it on the road asap and just didnt have the time for it. But they did a horrible job at just about everything and driving it was just getting to violent so screw it i said and took it off the road before i even put 1k miles on it this year. since then ive had to re-do the clutch, replace the shifter boot they hacked, and ive ben scratching my head trying to figure out whats up with the chasis ever since. 1st thing i noticed is that the nut on the tranny mount wasn't tight at all, infact it was about to fall right off so that explains the violent vibrations while cruising. next i relized that the bottom of the tq arm bushing was blown right out no idea why they re-used it but they did so i searched all the local part stores for one w/ no luck(maybe thats why they kept the original in) so i guess il have to hit up the net for one. then i looked over every single bushing in the rear and their all rubber except for the ones on the sway bars and LCA's and they all looked fine but im planning on ditching the poly bushings anyways cause im pretty sure their played out or too old or somin.. but nothing else jumped out at me so i slapped some plates on it and took it for a quick test drive, just pulling out of my driveway(uphill) i noticed the difference from tightening the tranny mount, shifting gears there was no more thumping noise from the chasis and didnt feel any vibrations really until 70ish then you can tell the car is not as tight as it should be. reverse is another matter, when accelerating from a stop in reverse the whole rear end shudders altho it seems like most of the noise is coming from around the LCA's. it doesnt matter if i release the clutch quick or if i slip it out however the slower its released the slower it shudders. its fine once its idleing/coasting in reverse but even when i coasted into the grarage and had to give it a lil more gas to get all the way in it shook, it doesnt shudder enough to make the whole car shake but its not good. im not sure where to go from here, what ever the problem is its not ovbious to me, does anyone know what specific suspension component might be responsible for making the car shudder when accelerating in reverse? i dont think the tq arm bushing could be responsible for all of it considering where the noises come from and how the rear has always ben sorta loose.. also should i go with a rubber or poly tq arm bushing? its got a poly tranny mount but like i said im gonna ditch the rest of the poly bushings since they dont last long enough and have binding problems but is that somin i need to worry about with the tq arm bushing?
and sorry for the long read, didnt want to leave anything out
Old 12-21-2006 | 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

damn wrong section, maybe a mod could move it for me if they wouldnt mind

Quick Reply: axle shakes in reverse