Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synthetic okay in my '99 T56

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Synthetic okay in my '99 T56

I did some searching and looked through some threads but I couldn't find a straight answer. There is a lot of mixed information on this forum for certain topics. I bought 4 quarts of Redline D4ATF and planned to swap it in this Saturday but now I'm having second thoughts after reading some threads on here.

Would a 1999 T56 with 60k on it and no current shifting problems be fine for running Redline D4ATF?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running synthetic M1 atf in mine for a while now, so go for it!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Kalgorn- First, sorry for the long post:

I've tried to stay current on the synthetic in a F-body T-56 and/or non-Dexron III in a F-body T-56 discussions, and despite folks that may stop in here and offer an opinion different from my own, I think I can safely say the following:

No one knows one way or the other if a synthetic Dexron III, or a synthetic non-Dexron III, or even a dino non-Dexron III, will be safe for your f-body T-56. GM, Ford, and Tremec all officially say use Mercon/Dexron III for the T-56's used in their cars. Why they each say that is debatable, but no one here is an all knowing god, so, we'll never know the for sure answer. If you are at all risk adverse, then your safest choice is to use a dino Dexron III rated lube.

Essentially, that's about what everyone who continually debates this can agree upon. The following is the opinion I've basically formed from people who've reported on boards like this about using a Dexron III synthetic/nonDexron III synthetic/nonDexron III dino - which means it's an opinion formed by me (just someone curious on the subject, definitely not an expert) and is certainly no guarantee, so you basically have take it for what's it's worth, just an opinion:

1.) Using a synthetic in an F-body T-56 (even a 98-00) is not a guarantee of problems, nor is using a synthetic in an F-body T-56 a guarantee of no problems.
1.a.) Most that made the switch from OEM to synthetic could either not tell a difference, or noticed an improvement that varied from what ranges from the I bought it and it cost me money so I can tell a difference improvement to a clear improvement. That's quite a range when you think about it, however it's certainly not doom and gloom.
1.b.) Some that made the switch from OEM to synthetic could tell a negative difference, and usually made the switch back to dino Dexron III and stuck with that.
1.c.) A smaller number still (and this would be from what I've read a very small amount of folks that have posted) that made the switch from OEM to synthetic directly attribute it to the death of their T-56 (not gears, more like blocker rings, synchros) and needing a rebuild.

2.) It's never been shown that synthetic will prolong the life of your T-56, however the benefits of synthetics (better basestocks, usually higher add packs) would lend themselves to benefit the wearing of the T-56 internals, with possible arguable exception:
2.a.) The blocker rings: Synthetic allegedly eats the 98-00 ones up, although many who have those years and run synthetics would indicate otherwise, and
2.b.) Synchros: Non dino Dexron III allegedly does not have the proper frictional characteristics, although again, the many that run non dino Dexron III would indicate otherwise...however the I put synthetic in and it shifted like cr@p! posts should count just as much as the I put synthetic in and it shifts awesome now! posts.

So after all that, basically, the answer - which is just my opinion, which means it doesn't really mean much - is: Probably.

If you don't like it, you can always go back to dino Dexron III, or, try another synthetic, or, try something that has a high success rate like GM Synchromesh (PN 12345349).

Whichever way you go, hope it works for you!

Chuck
Old 12-21-2006, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been using redline syn for about 6 years now
Old 12-21-2006, 05:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'll swap it in and see what happens. I hate to waste $50 worth of fluid trying this lol. I may try the Synchromesh if I don't have good luck with the Redline before I go back to Dexron III.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I decided to go with Synchromesh afterall. I went to the dealer today to pick up the LSD additive and I figured I'd go with Synchromesh since I was already at the dealer and could pick it up. Plus, it's cheaper than Redline. He marked everything down enough that 4qts of Synchromesh + 1 bottle of LSD additive was only $44.55 after tax. Good enough for me.

I'm taking the Redline back to NAPA tonight.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

what is the additive used for ?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the LSD additive for? afaik Redlin make a D4 ATF specifically for manual boxes.
as far as for the rear end goes I've been using the heavy shockroof in the T2R with good results.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
what is the additive used for ?
I think he meant that he was picking up the LSD additive for his rear, and while he was there, he decided to get some synchromesh to save another trip and some money.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been using the GM Synchromesh and love it. Never had any issues.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good to hear. I should be changing out my T56 and differential fluid this Saturday.

And yes, I was picking up the LSD for my rear today.