Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pictures Of Nubs needed to grind on Tranny Mount

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pictures Of Nubs needed to grind on Tranny Mount

I was wondering if anyone had a picture of those 2 nubs that need to be ground down when installing the transmission mount. I installed a prothane one about a year ago. and i never ground nething down, because i didnt see any nubs. But i have a wierd vibration from the car. My buddy told me it could be because of that, and it may have medded up the pinion angle. BUt... i cant remember if ive always had it, or when i replaced my clutch. I did that not too long ago and never had it balanced. It was a powergrip that i got rebuilt by a local shop. Could not having it balanced cause the vibration also??? i asked the shop owner, and he siad theres no reason to rebalance it.

Thanks

Jarett
Old 12-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was from an energy suspensions mount but in the cross section pic on the right you can see the two humps on the bottom.
I had one of these mounts on my A4 car and it caused serious vibrations even after the humps were cut off/ground down. I also initially installed the preload plate. All of these things (plate and humps) were deleted and I still had a vibration. It wasn't as bad after but it was still noticeable. I went back to a stock mount and had no more transmission vibration except under severe load which turned out to be the torque arm bushing had deteriorated to the point it had shrunk away from the metal bracket on both sides. I have a stock tranny mount and a urethane torque arm bushing and it does fine now. Some people have reported that they have no issues with this mount at all but alot of people have reported vibration. Good luck!!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchsed a prothane trans mount and mine did not come with the spacer plate and did not have any nubs on it. I also compared it to the stock one and both of the heights were the same.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys, i might have to try the torque arm bushing. could be it because the main vibration is under hard acceleration.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Teching In

those bumps are there to set the preload on the mount. this type of mount will cause vibration. its basically a solid mount with a "little" bit of give.