Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 paint marks on flywheel and P Plate WTF?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 04:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Default LS7 paint marks on flywheel and P Plate WTF?????

This is slightly freaking me out as my LT1 t56 had a yellow paint daub on the flywheel and pressure plate and you had to line them up as close as possible or it resulted in poor balance.

Now I am about to bolt this thing up and the P Plate has a purple "daub" of paint at one of the dowel pin locations and the flywheel has two marks. One in blue and one in green so I have no idea what this means or which color should meet up with which or if it even matters in this case??

Please advise need to get this done yesterday. Thanks

**UPDATE** there is also a small yellow paint mark on the very edge of the p Plate and the green mark on the flywheel has a 4" or so long swath that runs 2" either side of the line mark. I guessed that the swath was the "limits" of the area that you can install the plate to flywheel and retain balance.

That was my guess and i hope I am right. Would love to hear the REAL scoop on this. Hopefully all these markings are unimportant but i have to wonder why they are there if not for such reasons?

Last edited by cam; 12-29-2006 at 09:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it means much, I installed mine not even giving a second thought to it. almost 15k miles later and many fun runs, it's still grabbing fine.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the LT1s the engine was balanced with the flywheel and pressure plate on the engine (externally balanced) when you switched clutches you needed to have them balanced the same way.

With the LS1 it's internally balanced and you just need the flywheel and clutch to be zero balanced. So no lining up is necessary. The paint daubs are probably just to show that it passed the quality control steps at the plant.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:39 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

BINGO! That makes sense thanks

Quick Reply: LS7 paint marks on flywheel and P Plate WTF?????