Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!

My friend recently picked up a 01 ws6 and the other night when he was on the way to picking me up when my car broke, his car did too . Apparently he ran into a kid we know with a stang and powershifted 3rd and 4th and he said when he put it in 4th "it was in gear but it didnt feel like it was in gear". Now the car make a heavy grinding noise when you try to moderately accelerate (usually past 1500rpms) and it wont go anywhere, it was bad enough that when his exhaust started to bottom out on my car trailer it couldnt go back up the trailer under its own power unless we helped push it b/c it would make that horrible noise and it stops moving. Should be pulling the tranny b/c i think it may be the pilot bearing, anyone else have any thoughts? The car has 92k on it and he has had issues with the clutch sticking at the track b/c he rides the clutch a bit, and also about 3 weeks ago he shifted from 2nd into first too. lol...he was learning.

one more thing- this grinding sounds EXACTLY like you are trying to shift into a gear and you let the clutch out too soon....if that gives you more of a idea. Also has full pedal pressure too.

Last edited by dklimek; 01-03-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me at G5 in Atlanta

If I eased off the clutch pedal in gear with little or no throttle, I was able to slowly drive and shift through the gears...

But as soon as I touched the gas, I'd get a LOUD grinding noise, the revs would climb and i'd have no power going to the wheels

Turned out the center hub on the clutch disc sheared off

So if any force was applied, the hub would just spin around and grind away at what was left of the hub retainer

Luckily, it was all covered under warranty and Carl Black Pontiac replaced it with a ZO6 assembly and upgraded the hydraulics as well

Then exactly 1 year later, the EXACT same thing happened again

Everything was covered under warranty and the entire assembly (including hydraulics) was again replaced and I was even able to talk the tech into doing the drill mod for me

Then a couple years ago, the slave blew out and I stepped up to a Spec Stage 3 X-Pad and new hydraulics again (no drill mod this time)

And people wonder why I hate my car so much lol

Rick

Aztek T/A WS7 & 70 RAM AIR IV T/A
Moderator @ LS2, FAST LS1, FUELSLUT,
The F-Body Hideout, LS1Turd & ChopperForums
Old 01-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so we are looking at a clutch replacement?? Looks, by the reading i have been doing, like we should pick up a new slave while we are at it too?? Any recommendations on a clutch? Think the drill mod is a good idea too??
Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just going by personal experience, but you'd have to pull the trans to find out for sure....

And yes, if you're gunna change the clutch, you might as well spring for a new updated slave as well (288)

Rick