Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lighten the stock fly wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lighten the stock fly wheel?

My buddys cusion works at a engine building shop so I can get my fly wheel lightend for cheap, he already had this done in his 400whp turbo 240SX..and liked the benifits from it.

How much can you take off a LS1 fly wheel? without causing much problems and still showing some gains

thank you

joe
Old 01-19-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you can resurface a flywheel. Didn't know you could lightn't them.. If you are able to do this type of thing. You'll just be freeing up some HP..kind like a U/D pully, perhaps.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably nothing.
If you surface the flywheel, normally done during a clutch rebuild, you will lose only a couple ounces of weight(if not, less) and you will be increasing your chances of developing hot spots and wapring your flywheel.
When the flywheel warps, your clutch will probably start to chatter and it will only get worse from there.
You can buy lighter weight flywheels, but I would NOT lighten the stock piece.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks thats what I was looking for, ill just buy a light one
Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Depends on how beefy the stock one is. I haven't seen what mine looks like or how much meat is on the backside, but you can usually turn down the backside quite a bit to drop weight. The guy I bought my old Nissan racecar from had the stock piece turned down on the back and dropped around 5 lbs. Of course, that's 5 lbs. less material there to absorb heat which means that heat will have to go somewhere, and that somewhere is mainly the clutch, but again, it depends on how beefy the stock unit is, how much you're taking off, what type of clutch you're running, etc. Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id suggest buying a Fidanza as theyre SFI approved and they feature a replaceable friction surface. Last flywheel youll ever have to buy.