Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Teaching the girlfriend to drive a stick...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i taught my brother and my girl how to drive stick about 2 years ago and my clutch is still holding. . stock clutch also . .but just bought a new spec so i dont think to many people will be touching my car now!!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

just make sure u dont slip that spec or bye bye life spand
Old 01-21-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I taught myself how to drive my LS1... then 2 years later, i taught a friend of mine. w/in 2 sessions of 2 hours each, she was driving it just fine and the clutch lasted a bit longer.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

The one tip I have for people that drive me home when I'm drunk and are not familiar w/ my car...

DON'T........FLOOR........IT..........IN......... FIRST!... Clutch down THEN shift!...

Oh... and I gotta say it...

ahahahahaa..... damn ***** got you in trouble again....that will happen

CZ28.com inside joke..
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ght=Damn+*****
Old 01-21-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still have to teach a friend(girl) of mine we tried along time ago but she just could't get it. I think she was really nervous she would really **** something up. I told her we will try again soon. I also learned how to drive a stick in my ls1. Personally I think an ls1 is easier to drive than many others. With all the power once the clutch starts to grap at all the car is moving and you just give it some gas.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt do it unless you had a stock clutch and the funds to replace it when it goes out. Ive taught a few with my spec 4/al flywheel.....I dont think ill do it again.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:56 AM
Teching In

When I taught my girl
STEP 1: I first demostrated the "sweet spot" on the clutch. Get in a empty flat parking lot and let her watch your clutch foot as you bump the engagement point. Explain that every car has a different spot so that is the first thing to learn.

STEP 2: Then I demonstrated the stall. Yeah, it's hard on stuff but it's the only time it did it all night. Explain that if you stall it jerks stuff around and is hard on the machine.

STEP 3: I then pulled the E brake and rubbed the clutch for all of 2 secs... just enough to make it hot and smell. Explain to her that if she rides the clutch it BURNS UP and that's bad. Really bad.

STEP 4. THen.... Demostrate if she takes off too hard... rev it to 3k, dump the clutch and do a rolling burnout... THen explain how thats alot harder on tires but better for the rest of the system and tires are easier to replace so don't be scared.... remind her there is nothin' sexier then a hot woman roasting a set of tires....

STEP 5: Then demostrate a good takeoff 3 or 4 times and put her in the seat!!!

Constantly remind her not to be scared.... it's a HOT ROD BABY!!! DRIVE LIKE IT... get her excited. And most importanly.. be in an EMPTY parking lot far away from the public eye. She will be less paranoid that someone will see her screw up. Remind her driving a stick is all about confidence!!! DON"T BE A PANSY!!! DRIVE IT LIKE YA MEAN IT!!! and this has worked for me 3 times now!!! I abused my clutch more in the first 5 mins showing her what NOT to do then she did the rest of the night.... Good trade if ya ask me!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Banned

i tought my girlfriend to drive stick on my old car (in sig... 6spd at the time) when it was basically stock.

then i stuck a 402 in it, and let her drive it..... it was f*cking hilarious. she came out of a slow turn and i said, "now nail it..." (very calmly haha) and she actually did.

the back end swung out, she got out of the throttle and then straightened her out. then she resumed driving while i was in the passenger seat cracking up.

it was her first time piloting a 500+ h.p. car (with a manual trans no less!)
that's my girl!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i taught my little sister how to drive stick in my camaro...
i actually think its easier to teach with a V8... you can start out by teaching clutch control... without having them touch the gas pedal. with a 4cyl, you have to teach them to give it gas while letting the clutch out... sure its easy when you know how, but when instructing them for the first time, simple is better IMO... once they have one thing down, build from there..

just keep an eye on things, and you can teach them fine.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I let my ex drive my car in an empty parking lot, but she wouldn't take it on the road. She was nervous as hell, said she was afraid to break something. I kept telling her not to worry about it, and as soon as I got behind the wheel again I did a little burnout. Then I said, "See, if anyone is going to break it, I will." lol
Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by _JB_
I let my ex drive my car in an empty parking lot, but she wouldn't take it on the road. She was nervous as hell, said she was afraid to break something. I kept telling her not to worry about it, and as soon as I got behind the wheel again I did a little burnout. Then I said, "See, if anyone is going to break it, I will." lol
well, if you really want to break it... i can get the job done... i have the busted 10bolts to prove it!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
well, if you really want to break it... i can get the job done... i have the busted 10bolts to prove it!
lol anyone can break these 10 bolts! But she was afraid that stalling the car or something would make something break. She was real easy with the car, and wouldn't go any faster than 30MPH in the parking lot.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _JB_
lol anyone can break these 10 bolts! But she was afraid that stalling the car or something would make something break. She was real easy with the car, and wouldn't go any faster than 30MPH in the parking lot.
haha my gf was kinda like that, then for some freak reason decided to nail it in first and now she is addicted to lotsa right foot and no left foot

she can almost race it as good as i can!

Quick Reply: Teaching the girlfriend to drive a stick...