Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone toasted a LS7 clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone toasted a LS7 clutch?

Mine may be fried after 10K miles, I find out Thursday.

All street driven, stock engine. ZERO track time.

Stock lasted 40K.
Spec 3i lasted 15K.
LS7 (probably) 10K.

I spend a LOT of time (45min+ each way) in stop & go traffic due to the work commute.

This is getting ridiculous.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Still man, those are very short clutch lifetimes. My clutch has 80k miles on it (original still going), and I spend about 30+ mins in stop & go traffic monday thru friday. My car is making 400rwhp also, not to mention I was spraying it for a while . I don't know if my clutch is just a factory freak, or if most of the people here are just slipping them too much in daily driving (I'm referring to the non-racecar crowd). Let us know how yours turns out, I dont think I've seen an LS7 clutch die so fast. Could it have possibly been installed wrong (mis-aligned, etc)? Good luck getting it fixed, man.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, 10k miles is a very short lifetime for a stock style clutch. GM expects it to live behind 500 flywheel horsepower for at least 36k miles. Did you use a new flywheel when you installed it? Did you balance the entire assembly before installing? If it is a reused flywheel then the surface machining may not have been done well. Something definitely does not seem to be right with the install or the clutch itself.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine lasted 1500-2000 miles before the pedal started to stick and I replaced it with a textralia. I hav eabout 420 RWHP
Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Second_Infinity
Mine may be fried after 10K miles, I find out Thursday.

All street driven, stock engine. ZERO track time.

Stock lasted 40K.
Spec 3i lasted 15K.
LS7 (probably) 10K.

I spend a LOT of time (45min+ each way) in stop & go traffic due to the work commute.

This is getting ridiculous.
I have a feeling its either Driver related, or how it was installed, or maybe a combonation of both.

Slipping any clutch too much can burn it up easy.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been holding up now for about 6k & I drive the **** outta it. Its daily driven & my drive to work is about 30-40 minutes each way. Not to mention I'm always gettin on it & playin around. Also made about 6 passes at the track with it.

Pedal still feels perfect & actually has really smooth engaugement at high RPMs on the street & track.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

New flywheel, package pre-balanced from t56rebuilds.

Professionally installed.

The stock clutch I may have prematurely replaced, pedal was sticking to the floor more than it was slipping. The Spec was just a POS. I hope something else is awry with this one.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Second_Infinity
New flywheel, package pre-balanced from t56rebuilds.

Professionally installed.

The stock clutch I may have prematurely replaced, pedal was sticking to the floor more than it was slipping. The Spec was just a POS. I hope something else is awry with this one.
Hmm...what condition are the slave and master cylinder in? When my pedal was sticking to the floor, my slave cylinder was the culprit. If the slave cylinder is not fully releasing, then you are basically continuously slipping the clutch when you are driving. The friction material on a clutch only wears away from slipping...whether it be hydraulic pressure related, pressure plate spring pressure related, or flat out slipping it by the driver. If the flywheel and the disc are tightly squeezed and in full contact, the disc will not wear plain and simple.

Even with alot of stop and go driving I would expect the the LS7 clutch to last much longer. Especially with a stock engine, daily driven vehicle. Something is amiss somewhere.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When you buy the whole LS7 kit, doesnt it come pre-balanced from the dealer?? Just a question becuase I want to purchase one pretty soon and I wanna know what to expect. Sorry, dont mean to hijack....
Old 01-23-2007, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
mine lasted 1500-2000 miles before the pedal started to stick and I replaced it with a textralia. I hav eabout 420 RWHP
When I got mine it did the same thing from day one. I bought the clutch and the ls2 fly wheel at t56 rebuilds. I thought it was my master and I changed that and now I am having the same problem all over again. My guess is its a factory deffected pressure plate, I have heard of a few other people with the same problem and that is what it turned out to be.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He could have boiled the fluid and if it inst switched out its going to lead to a dead clutch.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wkniffin98ss
When I got mine it did the same thing from day one. I bought the clutch and the ls2 fly wheel at t56 rebuilds. I thought it was my master and I changed that and now I am having the same problem all over again. My guess is its a factory deffected pressure plate, I have heard of a few other people with the same problem and that is what it turned out to be.

I'll know today or tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is shot, why not give textrillia a shot? the reason i say this is because it seems to be the general consensus that textrillia seems to be the only clutch up for the task of street driving from what i have read on these boards... i have a spec 3 in my car and its lasted 6k so far. im putting a heads/cam in my car and i willl be surprised if it lasts through this season. i will be doing a textrillia and a t56rebuilds tranny when it does
Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Second_Infinity,

What year is your car? Did you replace the hydraulics? Let us know what you find out.

Originally Posted by qwikz28
if it is shot, why not give textrillia a shot? the reason i say this is because it seems to be the general consensus that textrillia seems to be the only clutch up for the task of street driving from what i have read on these boards... i have a spec 3 in my car and its lasted 6k so far. im putting a heads/cam in my car and i willl be surprised if it lasts through this season. i will be doing a textrillia and a t56rebuilds tranny when it does
I know most members agree that the textralia is badass, and I don't doubt that, but a stock car should not be burning up clutches like this!
Old 01-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Sounds like someone needs to learn how to drive, honestly. My stock clutch has 140k miles on it, and only slips on power shifts, and our 99 was still on the original when we sold it with 60k on it.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

110,000 on the stock clutch just starting to slip with 315/17" DR's i thought i had a freak but i guess not there are guys out there with more miles on their clutches than mine. for a GM clutch to fail in 10K miles or less somthing has to be wrong the clutch must not be fully engaging fully.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

same question here ..... a balanced clutch? doesn`t it come balanced?
Old 01-25-2007, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

Driver related.. Dont ride the clutch at stop signs. Dont rest your foot on the clutch pedal ever. dont slip the clutch. try to powershift only when necessary.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

The car is a 2001.

The clutch was removed this morning, and appears to be just fine. No burn/slip marks anywhere. What should we look for to see if the pressure plate is defective? Nothing is visibly distinct...

So far:
- Car shop says the clutch is fine, transmission is probably the problem.
- Transmission shop says (from described symptoms) that he doesn't think it's a problem with the tranny but with the clutch instead. The transmission is now sitting at the transmission shop - to be looked at next week.

And to LSGunZ28, I don't ride the clutch at all. I don't slip the clutch if I can help it. I've never powershifted.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

I dont know exactly, but the guy I talked to said he noticed it when he put the clutch in so but had never seen the clutch before so thought it was desighned that way and later on came to find out that it was a factory deffect. So it should be visible. But I will talk to the guy asap and find out for sure.