Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question LS7 Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment?

Hello everyone,

I've been reading up as much as I can about the install for this clutch, and I've seen a few tidbits about needing to adjust (compress) the pressure plate self adjust springs fully before installing.... First, I read that this is to keep from having a low initial engagement point which seems to be a symptom of many installs. Also, I have read that this keeps from premature wear for some reason. There is a service document detailing this procedure on the second link below.

A few links of interest:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...=108341&page=2 (post #32)

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128966 (post #2 and #5) images of service document on post 5

Has anyone here actually done this before installing this clutch? If so, was your clutch engagement satisfactory?

Those of you who did not do this procedure, if you had problems with clutch (very low) engagement after the install, did you pull the clutch, perform this service and find that your problem was alleviated?

I'm not really interested in bleed problems and such, just want to verify the validity of this procedure and, if this is supposed to be done at every install, why the procedure isn't common knowledge by this time.

Another question I might add is, why is this not being done at the factory?

Feel free to chime in on this subject, as I would like to know as much as I can on this subject before I change out my own clutch within the following few weeks.

ANY GM TECHS, please feel free to give detail on this if you have it

Last edited by kidfrostbite; 01-29-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried this. Due to the fact my clutch wouldnt fully disengage, so I pulled everything out. Made the adjustment and saw now difference, clutch is still not disengaging completely and I'm wondering whats wrong. Obviously i have a defective part somewhere. Pressure plate? Slave? Master? All new items.

Kinda messed up.

If I were you, I would pick a clutch proven to be installed without any extensive problems, recently there has been so many posts of people sayin LS7 engages too low or that they had problems with getting the hydraulics working properly.

Trust me bringing the tranny down for the 3rd time is getting real old and I havent had a car for a month now.

I still dont know whats wrong at this point.......

My solution will probably be try a different setup and I want a kit that will work the first time around!

just my 2 cents..........
Old 01-29-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an ls7 clutch kit on my car and i never did any adjustments to the springs. All i did was bolt it up and and drive. The first initial drive after the clutch swap, the pedal was a little lower then stock, but after the break in period was over, and spending more time with the new clutch, i started to feel more comfortable and ur body will get used to the lower clutch engagement. I daily drive my T/A and to tell you the truth, i hardly notice the lower clutch engagement anymore. TO me it feels like my stock z06 clutch. The ls7 clutch has been in my car for almost a year, and over 17k miles on the car and it hasn't miss a beat yet.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Back on 1-24-07 in the post titled: LS7 Clutch Install? posted by JZ28, I asked almost the exact same question. I saw the pre-adjustment over on LS1gto.com and was curious if anyone on this forum had done this procedure because I have not heard anyone here talk about it.

I thought I would go straight to the source so I call LUK clutches and talked to one of their tech guys this morning. He was very helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about. I asked him about the pre-adjustment that was mentioned on the gto forum. He told me that he would not do it. He says that this clutch is self adjusting and that the purpose of this is to keep the pedal feel and release point the same thoughout the life of the clutch. He said that the self adjuster was already set to give the best service in most applications.

So now I am really confused. The LUK tech guy says leave it alone but then again, there is a printed service document from GM telling you how to adjust it. I guess I will leave mine alone and just put it in as it came. I guess if it has a real low engagement point, you could always go in and take it out and then do the pre-adjustment, but that would be a real PITA, especially on the Vette where you have to drop all of the rear running gear and torque tube to get to it. I only want to do this once.

Just thought I would share what I found out this morning.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always wondered about those. When I bought the LS6 clutch from the dealer, I wondered if those little 'springs' needed to be set.

I ended up compressing them one step, as they were crooked from the factory.

Are there any definitive answers out there?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bfhawki
Back on 1-24-07 in the post titled: LS7 Clutch Install? posted by JZ28, I asked almost the exact same question. I saw the pre-adjustment over on LS1gto.com and was curious if anyone on this forum had done this procedure because I have not heard anyone here talk about it.

I thought I would go straight to the source so I call LUK clutches and talked to one of their tech guys this morning. He was very helpful and seemed to know what he was talking about. I asked him about the pre-adjustment that was mentioned on the gto forum. He told me that he would not do it. He says that this clutch is self adjusting and that the purpose of this is to keep the pedal feel and release point the same thoughout the life of the clutch. He said that the self adjuster was already set to give the best service in most applications.

So now I am really confused. The LUK tech guy says leave it alone but then again, there is a printed service document from GM telling you how to adjust it. I guess I will leave mine alone and just put it in as it came. I guess if it has a real low engagement point, you could always go in and take it out and then do the pre-adjustment, but that would be a real PITA, especially on the Vette where you have to drop all of the rear running gear and torque tube to get to it. I only want to do this once.

Just thought I would share what I found out this morning.
Thanks for the detailed response! I didn't think to just call LUK myself

You know, I have a few questions myself about the procedure anyway. The document says its for a GTO clutch adjustment, but it doesn't state exactly what clutch this refers to. Does the GTO actually come with a Ls7 clutch, and if not, why would GM have a document to adjust a pressure plate that is not original equipment for the GTO? Unless it is meant for any self-adjusting pressure plate? Guess I'll get on the phone myself or visit a dealership and shoot the breeze with a few techs there to see if this is a standard thing they do.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

The guy that made the post in the gto forum is a gm tech. He says that even though the printed document says for a gto, the procedure is the same for the LS7. The gto clutch is also a LUK, similar to the LS7, just not as heavy duty. There are pictures of both setups on the gto forum under the driveline section. The pictures are in the sticky: LS7 Clutch Details.

http://kb.ls1gto.com/KB/article.aspx?id=10039

The picture of the GTO pressure plate shows it with the plate side up, but if you look closely, you can see the adjusting springs in the picture.

I Googled LUK clutches this morning and found their web site and got their phone number.

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Pressure Plate Adjustment?