Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave/Master cylinder ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave/Master cylinder ???

i need a new slave cylinder, isnt this a sealed system in a ls1 car? i went to the dealership today to buy one and you have to buy the slave and the master seperatly. i thought that it was a sealed system and they cam as one.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

Nope.
There a lotta posts with good pictures. Try a search.
I am replacing both slave and master now. Slave is in tranny housing, btwn tranny and clutch. The master is separate located in front of the driver onor near the firewall.
slave requires dropping of tranny. Not too bad of a job if u have a tranny jack and the car up high-took me alone about 4 hrs to get tranny on the floor.
Good luck
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i know where they are ive replaced the master before and i have th trans out of the car now (im swapping trans) i know my slave is bad so all i have to do is buy a slave cylinder? i was always told its a sealed system.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

WHY THE TRANNY SWAP? JUST CURIOUS? I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY SEALED, THE BRAIDED STEEL LINE THAT GOES INTHE TRANNY HOUSING ON THE DRIVER SIDE IS THE LINE TO THE SLAVE CYLINDER (SLAVE IS WHAT PUSHES ON THE CLUTCH/PRESSUREPLATE) YEA BUY A 01'-02' SLAVE CYLINDER EITHER NEW ON HERE FROMA GUY (WHICH I JUST DID) OR FREDBEANS.COM OR GMPARTSDIRECT.COM.
I TAKE IT YOU BOUGHT A 01-02' MASTER CYL AND HAVE DONE THE DRILL MOD TO THE LINE?
iF SO AFTER THIS YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO.
I WOULD RECOMMEND BUYING A BLEEDER EXTENSION FROM STEVE D, SEARCH FOR SLAVE CYLINDER BLEEDER AND YOU SHOULD FIND A TOPIC WHERE HE SELLS A 35 INCH LINE THAT RUNS UP INTO YOUR ENGINE BAY FOR BLEEDING THE CLUTCH, I JUST ORDERED ONE. DO THIS WHILE YOU REPLACE YOUR SLAVE ITS THE ONLY WAY TO PUT ONE OF THESE ON WHILE U HAVE THE TRANNY OUT.

YOUR CLUTCH LOOK GOOD AND FLYWHEEL?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
Old 01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont have 6th gear. so im just gonn have the tranny built. no i havent done the drill mod. ive heard alot about it but dont even know what it is. thank you for all the help.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get the slave cylinder and pilot bearing to replace with your rebuilt T56 since you have to drop the tranny to get to those anyway. Then just plug the master cylinder line back into the slave. If you replaced the master somewhat recently it should be good and its easy to replace anyway since you already did that once before.