Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Master Cylinder?

So.. my original clutch went out in a wierd way at 81,000 miles... Just got under the car and replaced it with a Spec stage 3 clutch that I had bought from a buddy un-used...

I read and people said that I wouldn't need to upgrade from my stock MC... BUT, it is either chattering REALLY bad or something else is happening... I was expecting a little bit of chatter, and have driven a few peoples cars that chattered a little, but not like this - it feels like something is about to be ripped from my transmition sometimes...
From a dead stop is the only time I have the problem, once I get going I have no problem and everything is normal except it happened a tiny bit in 2nd gear once or twice...

Am I going to need to fork out some money and get a MC or do you think I could have just messed up somewhere installing the clutch?

OH.. Spec haters, please don't come here to bash, I just need a quick/reasonable response...
Old 02-08-2007, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

My Spec3 has had chatter to it since I put it in and that was over 2 years & 50+k miles ago. Its not BAD, but it does chatter. And it chattered a lot more when it was new. IIRC, after its broken in, get it on about 4k rpms and just work the clutch in and out, slipping it. It'll help knock out some of the chatter.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Teching In

So you think even with the bad chatter it will be ok to drive? Im scared that if I drive it and it maybe is the MC then it will wear my clutch out pre-matuarly...

Another note that somebody told me... It lets out ALMOST completly on the floor, but not all the way and it seems normal.. so im not sure if that has anything to do with it

EDIT: I was just reading some more up about this... and I am fairly new to car mechanic type stuff.. but could it be possible that the chatter is making my torque arm is coming loose?

Last edited by SStewy; 02-08-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if it starts grabbing at the floor its the master i had the same problem...is it hard to shift sometimes? it was hardd for me to **** when my master was bad too
Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you have the flywheel resurfaced? Or a new FW? Sometimes old flywheels can be warped slightly after being used for 80K+ miles. A warped flywheel would probably make chatter worse.
If you resurfaced it, did you use the shim included with the kit? This would help it engage further up on the pedal travel.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Yea, I had a resurfaced flywheel put in.. NOT my original one, just a plain LS1 flywheel that had been resurfaced...

And it is easy to shift into every gear, no problem...

Ended up talking to a guy from SPEC today and he said that it should take about 500 city miles for it to slow down and that it is almost normal to chatter like all hell when its new... So i guess we will see