Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7 VS spec3+ and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls7 VS spec3+ and other questions

I was pretty set on using the LS7 but a guy I know is selling a 50 mile spec 3+ and billit flywheel for a good price.

so I've been reading up on them and I hear nothing but great things about the ls7, but it can't really handle track duty? drives close to stock. great pedal feel, can be slipped, lasts a while

and i've read users have had nothing but problems with the spec clutchs, mainly the spec 3. how does the 3+ compaire,

this clutch is for a DD H/C car estimated power around 420rwhp maybe more. but I want good drivablity and not fight the clutch. I don't see much or any bumper to bumper. I do drive spiritly, burning threw gears is a plus lol. I may only take it to the track a few times a year, but i'll be beating the **** out of the car then and I don't want a clutch to glaze over with big drops.

I also don't have much money to waste and im nervous about picking up the right clutch.

also I crossed over the GM numbers for the slave and master cylinder to raybestus/united parts. I can get them ALOT cheaper threw a place I know, then the GM stuff. anybody ever use them? Or is this something I should just stick with GM?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, they are both good clutches. i have the Ls7/Ls2 set-up, my good friend has the Spec 3+ with basically the same mods i do(see sig), we are both just under 400whp n/a. both of the clutches are holding up pretty damn well, although i havent sprayed on mine yet. its going to come down to what you like more, a soft pedal(Ls7) or a stiff pedal(Spec 3+). the Spec 3+ will also hold more power then the Ls7. but as long as you under 450whp you should be good with either one.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say LS7 for a real every day driver etc....Its a GM product...and made to take 505 hp from the ZO6 and last a decent amount of time....
Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your car going to see a slick alot? Etc

Add some more detail....what tire are you on etc
Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slick1851
I would say LS7 for a real every day driver etc....Its a GM product...and made to take 505 hp from the ZO6 and last a decent amount of time....
Iv heard that while its rated at that much in a Corvette, its not rated at quite so much in an Fbody b/c of the weight. Thats just what I heard, take that w/ a grain of salt.

I have a Spec3 in my car and have loved it. I too am trying to decide b/t an LS7 and another Spec. The main reason I love this spec is b/c of the stiff clutch. For some reason, i looove it. it feels like you're doing something. 50+k miles and 2+ years of use
Old 02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

i said i'll only be taking it the track a few times a year. but tires i'll be running 315 street DRs
Old 02-08-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mpsoldier
i said i'll only be taking it the track a few times a year. but tires i'll be running 315 street DRs
i hope you have a 12-bolt
Old 02-08-2007, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851

My only gripe with that train of thought is that a new ZO6 weighs a hell of a lot less than a Fbody. That clutch was designed for a lightweight car and putting it in a heavy fbody will change its charachteristics drastically. Expecially when it comes to long term durability.