Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

throwout bearing rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default throwout bearing rattle

I just got my conversion going. It has maybe 50 miles on it. I noticed that other day that when the car is idling in neutral with the clutch pedal out that I am getting a slight rattle noise from the bellhousing area. It goes away when you raise the rpms off idle and goes away when you push the clutch pedal in. It is a brand new spec stage 3, ams billet flywheel, brand new throwout bearing, and the slave cylinder spacer is installed. I almost think that the spacer is putting the throwout bearing againest the pressure plate causing this rattle, what do yall think? Thanks for the help, Josh
Old 02-09-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Addict

Default rattle

t. t. t
Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is your transmission rattling. The aftermarket clutches have little or no neutral stage( damper springs) that OEM parts use to limit the neutral rattle. The good news is that this is realy just an anoiyance issue and really doesn't cause any damage. There is little you can do to abate it other than change the clutch . You could look into a thicker oil but this will result in cold shift concerns( not a prob if you don't drive it in the cold or accept that it needs a warm up to shift well).
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Default rattle

So you are saying that the rattle is caused by the clutch? Its not the front bearing in the trans? That is good to hear. What type of oil can I out in it to quiet it down a bit? Do alot of people have this trouble?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aftermarket clutches just rattle. they arent designed to be super smooth and quiet, but designed with performance in mind. If you just installed a new TO bearing, then thats not a problem.

for thicker oil, use a mixture of lucas oil stabalizer. bottle says 50/50 oil and lucas for transmissions.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here we go with the moose-**** /grandmas- best recipes on oil. If you have a special blend than please post in the Chucky2 post-***** oil thread and we can all disregard it as the rubbish it is.
It would be best to know what year T56 you have so I know what material the blockers are and can advise on a compatible oil.