Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Flywheel recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah im curious too! this could save some $$$!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to specify in my post to use it with an air compressor grinder.

basically what you do is take a soft grit sandpaper and a grinder(preferrably via air compressor) and in a circular motion work your way around the face of the flywheel. The idea isn't to actually GRIND down any metal on the flywheel, but rather make a flat smooth surface that is free of any hotspots. you only want to do it long enough to get rid of the hot spots. Obviously if you burnt the flywheel to hell and back you're not gonna completely get rid of them. the idea is to get a smooth surface throughout. remember large circular motions and try to take the least amount of level possible.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

I see where you are going with that....I've never heard that before....

Interesting though!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

0Z700 Textraila Billet flywheel never look back

People want the best for 250 bucks and thats not how anything works. There are good products, and some is markerting, but most of the time a 90 dollar tire is not as good as a 220 dollar tire. people want to get springs for these cars and stick with stock shocks which is about like putting a 400 shot on a stock L98 car not a good idea.

0Z700 Textraila is a really great clutch, for the HP and driveablity and no chatter.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

I can appreciate the lure of a "do-it-yourself resurface" but I want to remind you all that flatness is key to a long clutch life. I suggest laying a straight edge on any used flywheel before installation (resurfaced or not). If there are any miles on the unit it will not be true and sandpaper will not eliminate this inconsistency. Machine grinding a flywheel is the safest bet (bar none). Sandpaper can make a flywheel look good by removing hotspots but that is really all it is good for.

Think of it like this: flywheels surfaced with a hand grinder and sandpaper are a lot like the Mona Lisa. She looks pretty good from a distance but when you get up close and personal you realize that she is nothing more than Vincent Van Gogh in drag...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

I was going to go with the ls7, but decided against it. It would be good for you though.

/hijack
I'm getting a Tex. What flywheel should I go with?
/end hijack

Quick Reply: Clutch/Flywheel recomendations