Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help, slave?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help, slave?

I changed the clutch about a 1k miles ago and it worked great, then it developed a lot of dead pedal and disengagement issues, so I bled it and got the air out of the system. It worked well for about 100 miles, then the disengagement point went to the floor and the pedal was stiff all the way through its travel and it's holding fluid, so I know it's not air in the line or leaking. I was told its got to be the master or the slave. I replaced the master and to no avail. I'm throwing a lot of time and money into this problem and dropping the tranny's not a walk in the park. Am I missing anything here, is it definitely the slave?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was having the same issue so i bought a slave cylinder from a 01(same as yours) and i bought a mcleod adjustable master...its good now....but i dont know if thats whats causing your issued
Old 02-23-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

I thought I would double check it and so I bled the clutch again and its developed a leak where the braided line goes to the master that or it's actually the master. That was a royal pita to get in. Well I guess I'm back to square one.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Replaced the slave, and the master 2x it wound up being defective and still the same issues. The adjustable master's coming in today I'm hoping that will fix it.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

update: Put in the adjustable master today and nothing, so I dropped the tranny shimmed the crap out of it slapped it back together and I've got the same f'in problem. Before I put the adjustable master in, I noticed that it begins to disengage at the top of the pedal but it doesn't fully disengage at the floor. Now after shimming it and setting the rod on the master to the longest possible length, it slips the clutch when it's supposed to be engaged with anything over 1/4 throttle. The only possibility I can think of is that the springs in the pressure plate are not doing its job of pulling off the clutch disk when the diaphragm is pushed in. There's also springs in the clutch disk, but I'm not sure how it all works. Thanks anyway for the replies Any ideas? Someone's had to run into this before.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 03-02-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like your not bleeding properly, Take the resorvor off of the master where the little black hose runs into it and have someone put a little are in it then mash the clutch pedel and it just about completly bleeds itself right then.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

/\/\ It's bled properly, solid feel all the way through the pedal travel. Talked to a couple of tranny mechanics about it and they agree that a hydraulic problem is ruled out. It's got to be a defective pressure plate not releasing or a warped disk. This will be the 3rd time I've dropped the tranny for this particular problem. Not to mention getting a defective master and having to put the old one back in to drive it back down to exchange it then swapping the master out a third time and after that didn't work a 4th with the adjustable master. I'm sick of messing with it, going back to a stock clutch.

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 03-07-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help, slave?