Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007 | 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default t56 rebuild

i pulled my t56 apart yesterday. was fun, got most of it apart, the countershaft still has to come apart and the mainshaft is still together. the 3-4 synchro assy was in pieces, the keys were on the magnet. the blocker rings were totally done. had to cut the output shaft because the splines were twisted. still have alot to do though. does anyone have a picture of one that is just about to get the main case put over it? i need to see how the shift forks and sliders? -not sure what theyre called- go. also any tips for re assembly would be helpfull. thanks
Old 03-04-2007 | 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

take a look at this artical. in gmhtp,http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ssion_rebuild/ it might help
Old 03-04-2007 | 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

yes actually it did. its always good to hafve pictures of the stuff assembled lol. i have a couple questions though.

is there an up or down side on the synchro assemblies or does it not matter?

also, the teeth on the gears are worn, none missing any teeth or anything, but there is wear. how do i know if they are still good? i might be able to take some photos up.

thanks!
Old 03-04-2007 | 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

ok, when i say that the teeth are worn, just the fronts that ive circled are a little rounded off. it doesnt look to bad, they just arent a sharp point. will they be ok? i dont wanna have to tear this thing down in a couple months again.

thanks
Old 03-04-2007 | 05:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bearcat
i pulled my t56 apart yesterday. was fun, got most of it apart, the countershaft still has to come apart and the mainshaft is still together. the 3-4 synchro assy was in pieces, the keys were on the magnet. the blocker rings were totally done. had to cut the output shaft because the splines were twisted. still have alot to do though. does anyone have a picture of one that is just about to get the main case put over it? i need to see how the shift forks and sliders? -not sure what theyre called- go. also any tips for re assembly would be helpfull. thanks
How long did it take you to tear down? I'm looking at having to do this in my 3rd gen soon. Lost 2nd gear. Had a loud pop then a rev. It acts like its in neutral when in 2nd. Hopefully its just the keys.
Old 03-04-2007 | 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scgt1
How long did it take you to tear down? I'm looking at having to do this in my 3rd gen soon. Lost 2nd gear. Had a loud pop then a rev. It acts like its in neutral when in 2nd. Hopefully its just the keys.
i did it in a few hours. i have never done one before and i was careful to lay everything out in the same order it went it, plus i had to go out for a beer run. right now i could probly tear one down in 45 minutes. its really simple
Old 03-04-2007 | 09:19 PM
FormerVendor

IMO I would replace that gear as rounded teeth will cause nochy shifting or high shift effort, as for the sliders they can go either way but I try to put the line on the slider toward the input shaft side.

Scgt1
As for your second gear what year is your car? as some of the eariler t56s had poorly designed syncro teeth (circled teeth in the picture), and it is pretty common for the syncro teeth to completly sheared off. If your car seem like it is in neutral that is most likely because the teeth are sheared off.
Old 03-04-2007 | 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

would i be ok if i only replaced 1 - 4? im not trying to do anything quick in 5 - 6 anyways.

what do you mean by the line on the slider?

thanks for your help, i appreciate it
Old 03-04-2007 | 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, it is all up to you I have reused stuff like that on my personal stuff when I was in a pinch. If you look on the O.D of the slider one side has a line machined around the circumference
Old 03-05-2007 | 06:39 AM
Teching In

Well my car is a 91. I believe the trans is out of a 97 though. Haven't pulled the numbers on it to find out. Its such a chore to get the sob in the air. Its lowered and has 4th gen rims and low pro tires. So there is barely enough clearance for a jack, and there are only a few places I can even get the jack under it. :-( It made one quick pop noise then just revved the engine. So I dunno it could be the teeth or it could be the key. I've heard both. Hoping its just the keys and nothing is torn up. Money has been tight as hell lately. If it is that gear what does that sob run? I know the keys are cheap.

Of course while I'm in it anything else that is worn will be replaced also.
I helped Vern our NTTGA club president install his T56 in his bird. I don't want to do this more then once. Its a hell of a pita. Also I don't have the puller to remove the 5th and 6th setup in the tail to remove the rest. What can be used in place of it? Or do I need to contact the guys in houston about making me one?

Edit Oh hell that looks like it would be you. LOL I just looked at your sig.

Quick Reply: t56 rebuild