Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04GIBBS
When speaking with Jarrad about this from Textrilla he says that the number one issue is the way people are bleeding the system. I had the same issue and rebleed the system and put a new master cylinder in and the problem was resolved. When bleeding you need 2 people. One persone to crack the bleeder the next to push the clutch pedal to the floor the close bleeder and repeat this setp until pedal is hard also make sure you have enough fluid when doing so. If you buy a new master cylinder from the dealer it is already prebleed.
I bleed mine with the mity vac. I'm going to try changing out the master and see what happens because I know my slave is bleed we'll.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awesome. So you have half the battle won the Master Cylinder should do the trick.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04GIBBS
That is awesome. So you have half the battle won the Master Cylinder should do the trick.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-09-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got done talking with Jared from Textralia and he said I should try crack bleeding it first. I hope thats all it is
Old 03-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Glad you could get a hold of him. I've been trying Pete for a couple of days to no avail.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:55 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboDan
I'm having a similar problem with my Textralia OZ700. The difference is mine seems to be more difficult when cold. Does your car want to start rolling with the clutch pedal just off of the floor? Mine does. I'm thinking the clutch is dragging.
I had one do that. The clutch wasn't disengaging all the wat. Car had brand new hydraulics and were bled properly with 2 people. We took the clutch out and measured From the mounting face of the flywheel to the top of the pressure plate fingers on the Tex and on a Spec 3. Teh Tex was 1/4" of an inch shorter. It was sitting farther away from the slave than the Spec was and it was causing it to not disengage. If you spun the car to 5k or more with the clutch in it would start to roll.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Jarrad is an awesome tech to speak with he knows this clutch inside and out.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by greatwhitess
I had one do that. The clutch wasn't disengaging all the wat. Car had brand new hydraulics and were bled properly with 2 people. We took the clutch out and measured From the mounting face of the flywheel to the top of the pressure plate fingers on the Tex and on a Spec 3. Teh Tex was 1/4" of an inch shorter. It was sitting farther away from the slave than the Spec was and it was causing it to not disengage. If you spun the car to 5k or more with the clutch in it would start to roll.

These Textralia clutches are starting to show signs of problems. People were swearing by them in the beginning. Some still are! I'm having some of the same problems. Jared said it was because of the m/c, and is sending me a new clutch. One thing I can say w/ certainty is they have excellent customer service. Not so sure about the product yet. Some of the local guys here have also had problems.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

I've got only good things to say about their service as well. They replaced my clutch when their were problems with noise. They are a top notch operation. If only every supplier had this level of dedication to customer support! I picked the Textralia clutch because I didn't mind paying a little more for the best.

Unfortunately I've had nothing but problems from day one. Clutch problems apparently are so hard to diagnose. I've replaced the master cylinder, twice replaced the slave, and now I'm getting ready to pull out the clutch for a final time and replace with an LS7. Pete has been very understanding and has never hesitated to send replacements. The $500 labor to R&R each time is starting to hurt, though. If it comes out again I think I'm going to have to give up on Textralia.

I vacuum bled the clutch again today and I still have start of engagement immediately off the floor. It takes almost the entire pedal travel to full engage. To me it feels like something is not right with the clutch. Next week I will have my mechanic flush and do a standard two-man bleed. That will likely be my last attempt.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

It looks like I might have a bad M/C because I've tried bleeding it and I'm still having the same problems with the engagement. Once I replace the M/C I'll make sure to let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Launching!

I've got only good things to say about their service as well. They replaced my clutch when their were problems with noise. They are a top notch operation. If only every supplier had this level of dedication to customer support! I picked the Textralia clutch because I didn't mind paying a little more for the best.

Unfortunately I've had nothing but problems from day one. Clutch problems apparently are so hard to diagnose. I've replaced the master cylinder, twice replaced the slave, and now I'm getting ready to pull out the clutch for a final time and replace with an LS7. Pete has been very understanding and has never hesitated to send replacements. The $500 labor to R&R each time is starting to hurt, though. If it comes out again I think I'm going to have to give up on Textralia.

I vacuum bled the clutch again today and I still have start of engagement immediately off the floor. It takes almost the entire pedal travel to full engage. To me it feels like something is not right with the clutch. Next week I will have my mechanic flush and do a standard two-man bleed. That will likely be my last attempt.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been through 4 slaves, a tranny rebuild and now the 2nd master. If it has any other problems I'm either selling the car or getting a new clutch. The new master has been in the car for a week and it still feels great.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 505 Likes on 355 Posts

Anytime a problem shows up only under hard use, it is a hydraulic heat problem. The clutches and PP's of any company, not just TEX, pretty much do what they do, regardless of heat. Anytime a problem has to do with hard use or heat, look at hydraulics. Most of these problems that I have seen were due to headers running to close to hydraulic lines. A little heat shielding goes long way.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

The only problem I have with my Textralia clutch is the annoying metal squeal it does when I take of from first or when I'm in reverse. It really is embarrassing and I don't think it should be doing that for the amount of money I paid for it. Anyone have textralia's number I think I might have to call them.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tirefire
The only problem I have with my Textralia clutch is the annoying metal squeal it does when I take of from first or when I'm in reverse. It really is embarrassing and I don't think it should be doing that for the amount of money I paid for it. Anyone have textralia's number I think I might have to call them.

I had that with my "Z" grip. After switching to the "X" grip I had no more noise. The "X" grip is more of a street design with less ultimate holding power but still far and away more than I need for 411rwhp. Pete took care of me on that.

I vacuum bled for another 15 minutes on Sunday until no more bubbles. Now the car starts to roll with the pedal 1/2" off the floor. Better, but not what I would call acceptable. Am I wrong? Should the car start moving at such a low pedal height?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 AM
TECH Resident

I had that with my "Z" grip. After switching to the "X" grip I had no more noise. The "X" grip is more of a street design with less ultimate holding power but still far and away more than I need for 411rwhp. Pete took care of me on that.

I vacuum bled for another 15 minutes on Sunday until no more bubbles. Now the car starts to roll with the pedal 1/2" off the floor. Better, but not what I would call acceptable. Am I wrong? Should the car start moving at such a low pedal height?
Well, I can tell you that my car starts to roll at about 1/4 off the floor, which I here is something you need to get used after after going to an aftermarket clutch. Prior to install I did the drill mod so I don't know if that would help you.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Changed the Master and I'm still having the same problem. When I drive the car hard and take it to a stop it has a hard time going into first and reverse. There has even been a couple occasions to where I'm rolling the car slow and try to put it in 1st and it would grind. Is there a reason these issues only occur after driving the car real hard. So I have a new slave, new master, and the its bleed real good so what could the problem be?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much insulation did you do on the braided line that goes from the master to the slave?
Old 03-17-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
How much insulation did you do on the braided line that goes from the master to the slave?
I did put in some JBA shorties not that long ago but I can't recall if it was before or after I started having these issues. Would heat from the exhaust cause it to have these issues? Like I said it only does it after some hard pulls. What really boggles my mind is that I remember only having these problems after going from my spec to the textralia.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cooked fluid can definitely cause these types of problems.

Here's what I did (albeit not cheap):

1. Added a bleeder extension line to the slave cylinder so that the bleeder screw is back up by the master cylinder reservoir (steve-d on here makes them).

2. Wrapped BOTH lines in heat wrap on the WHOLE line. I put shrink wrap tubing around that to make sure nothing would move or come unwrapped.

3. Used a good DOT 4 brake fluid for the hydraulics (Ate Super Blue)

4. Bought a pressure bleeder from Motive along with the right adapter for the clutch master reservoir. Pressurize it, open the bleeder screw, and watch the bubbles come out.

I haven't had a bit of trouble since.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Cooked fluid can definitely cause these types of problems.

Here's what I did (albeit not cheap):

1. Added a bleeder extension line to the slave cylinder so that the bleeder screw is back up by the master cylinder reservoir (steve-d on here makes them).

2. Wrapped BOTH lines in heat wrap on the WHOLE line. I put shrink wrap tubing around that to make sure nothing would move or come unwrapped.

3. Used a good DOT 4 brake fluid for the hydraulics (Ate Super Blue)

4. Bought a pressure bleeder from Motive along with the right adapter for the clutch master reservoir. Pressurize it, open the bleeder screw, and watch the bubbles come out.

I haven't had a bit of trouble since.
I'm going to try wrapping the line to the slave and put in some new tranny fluid. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I get the issue resolved soon.

Thanks again,
John

Quick Reply: Textralia Clutch Problem