Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

slave or master cylinder, ways to trouble shoot which one!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slave or master cylinder, ways to trouble shoot which one!!

my car 2001 camaro z28 m6 <--obviously!

my questions is: is there a way to troubleshoot/diagnose which cylinder is failing?

Also has anyone seen the inside of a slave cylinder? I'm curious to as what rubber seals are inside the slave

The reason I ask these questions is either my master or slave is failing. That I know for sure. Plus I had rubber debris floating in my hydraulic fluid. The rubber debris is obbviously a seal but from which one, the master or the slave.
Secondly its my fault the seals are destroyed, instead of using GM recommended hydraulic fluid, I used wilwood hi-temp synthetic fluid which was too agressive and ate the seals.

thanks to any and all responses!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no real way of knowing which one it is. I do believe someone on here has taken the master apart and put it back toghter, I came across the thread last night when searching for sticking clutch pedal. The easy one to replace is the master so I would start there. Thats what i did but my pedal is still sticking. Next is to replace the slave which for me I'm probably going to do a whole clutch install at the same time since I have no idea how many miles are on the clutch that is in there now.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is my 3rd slave... the first two where nuked by an exploding clutch...

the master I have replaced once. I'm just tired of pulling out the transmission.

I might drain the system dry, start with a new master and hope its that.

Its sucks because yes the pedal comes off the ground by itself, has some resistance when pushing but still not enough!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how you check them.

Disconnect the line from the slave. Try and depress the pedal. There should be no movement with normal pressure. If the pedal moves you've got air in the master or a leaky seal. Look for obvious leaks, if you don't see them, bench bleed the master till you can't push the rod by hand. The position and location of the master cylinder makes it almost inevitable that it will trap air and need to be removed and manipulated to get all the air out (Or use some other methods, search about mity vac etc). Reinstall with the reservoir full and connected to the master.

If the slave fails you'll see fluid leaking from the slit between the gear box and bell housing, simple as that. The slave isn't a complex part at all, it's basically two concentric tubes, with a big donut shaped rubber washer/o-ring in the middle that prevents fluid from leaking and serves to drive the throwout against the pressure plate.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike44138

If the slave fails you'll see fluid leaking from the slit between the gear box and bell housing, simple as that. The slave isn't a complex part at all, it's basically two concentric tubes, with a big donut shaped rubber washer/o-ring in the middle that prevents fluid from leaking and serves to drive the throwout against the pressure plate.

excellent post... I was concerned about how the slace cylinder was but together, thank you for that info!..

since I have replaced both of these before I believe it is the master!

Reason being: The replacement master was $40 new at napa. OEM ones are about $200. Might be a slight quality issue with that price tag difference.

Secondly, I did see black rubber debris floating in the resivour. I know debris could not float from the slave, throught the master to the top. The only way I see that possible is if the master was shot too. In turn needing to be replaced anyways. Since you said the slave leaks upon issues, then I know it is the master!