Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard to get into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to get into gear.

My original post

The above link is more info as to the problem I am/was having. I have now pulled the tranny and the clutch, pressure plate, and fly wheel. I took some pics of what it looks like and it seems like the area where the teeth is off center and kind of lop sided. I also have a ring that goes all the way around the flywheel and clutch disk. On the flywheel it is a hill and on the clutch disk it is a valley, that is the best way to explain and prolly no more than .001 of an inch deep/high.
Attached Thumbnails Hard to get into gear.-crw_2188_rt8-large-.jpg   Hard to get into gear.-crw_2194_rt8-large-.jpg   Hard to get into gear.-crw_2199_rt8-large-.jpg   Hard to get into gear.-crw_2191_rt8-large-.jpg   Hard to get into gear.-crw_2196_rt8-large-.jpg  

Hard to get into gear.-crw_2200_rt8-large-.jpg  
Old 03-19-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many and what kinda of miles on the clutch? How'd the pressure plate look? Check it for flatness, bent fingers, cracks, heat marks/checking etc...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Just over 2k miles. I mean half of that was breaking it in. The preassure plate looked perfect. Only one litte heat mark and that was prolly from when I put the second shim in and the clutch wouldn't fully engage. The fingers were fine, and there were no cracks. I didn't get a chance to see if it was level but it looked pretty good. I was having the issue with it from the time I put it in and just took it as I needed to break it in and after 500 to 1000 miles it was still doing the same thing. But its on its way to AL now heading to SPEC headquarters.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you install that clutch yourself? Were the PP bolts tightened using a torque wrench?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah I did it all my self. The bolts were tightend using a torque wrench and using locktite so they wouldn't back out.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That wear pattern on the flywheel just looks abnormal. Heat marks look excessive and the band of wear looks a little narrow. Regardless of what you do I'd consider replacing the FW or having it machined flat. Let us know what spec says on the clutch.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

I think either the flywheel was not machined correct which I had them do when I purchased my stage 3+ from them because I fried my stage 3. and/or the clutch disk was not made correctly. It should be there on friday so hopefully I will hear something on monday or tuesday. Hopefully.... I had them do all the work so that if anything machine work wise was done incorrectly it was them. I have just been having clutch issues.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Ok so I talked to the people at spec and they said that everything is fine on the clutch. They said that the break in I did on it was one of the best they had ever seen. But according to them that there was nothing wrong with it. This was a differen't person I talked to btw, I told him what was going on and he said it had to be the syncros in the tranny. Well I called t-56 rebuilds and talked to I believe her name is Amber, please correct me if I am wrong and she , who obviously knows the ins and out's of these trannys said that a syncro would not make it hard to get into first gear and it would also not make it move forward when I tried to put it into gear. Man I wish I had another t-56 to toss in it real quick to see if that was the issue or not. So anyway spec went a head and resurfaced the flywheel and sent it back out and I should have it in today. What are the chances that I could get to slave cylinders that are bad?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

I would dump the spec and get a differnt cutch. IMO. I know there are a lot of people that swear by them but there are probably just as many like me who swear AT them........
Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

If I had the cash I would entertain that possibility but I don't. They have been great to deal with so I have no complaints there. I just wish there was a way to know that is was my tranny and not the clutch.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Ok so I have the clutch back in and SPEC said there was nothing wrong with it but they resurfaced the flywheel and it looks like the resurfaced the pressure plate and did something to the clutch disk and now it is a lot easier to get into gear than it was before can someone explain that one to me? Imean if nothing was wrong with it then why is it easier to get into gear now? Don't get me wrong it is still not purfect but I don't really have to fight with it anymore.