Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whiners
Old 03-22-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

When you go from a stamped steel sloppy piece of garbage shifter to a billet based super tight spring having shifter, it will transmit more noise. Just like poly bushings, billet rod ends, etc. I thought the car I bought had a shifter. Turns out it had a nice looking short stick and that's it. Pro5.0 here I come. This thing makes some noise just from the billet stick!!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man... my pro 5.0 never made noise. Just a tiny bit but I expected that since there are no rubber bushings like the stocker. I was having alittle trouble with fluid seeping out past the RTV...so I went to ACE hardware and get some rubber gasket material. Came with two squares. One thicker than the other. I used the thin one, made a gasket in like 5 minutes, thin layer of rtv on both sides, let it set up for a few minutes, bolted it back in...

Now I have no seepage, and its quiet as a church mouse. I cant hear any noise from it. I hear something when in neutral with the clutch out...but that goes away with the clutch in so thats just trans internals making noise. I even have poly motor and trans mounts. And Ill bet my 3rd gen body allows more noise to come through than the newer 4th gen cars. haha.

Put a gasket on it and see what happens.

J.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

I dont get it, i have no noise at all from my shifter. All i used to install was rtv. I did however have a whine in my Cobra that had a pro-5.0. It was the shifter stops. If they were not adjusted properly it would rest against the stop and make a whining sound. I shortened the adjustments just slightly, yet not too much that they lost functionality, and the noise was gone.

On my t/a i made sure the rubber boot was intact. I cut it to create a tight seal against the shifter base. But i dont have any more noise than i had stock.