Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help! Mushy and low clutch pedal AFTER races!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have this problem! When i drive normal the clutch is fine but after i row a few gears(racing) it gets real soft and engages right off of the floor. I just noticed that this didnt happen until after i put on my LT's. So do i need to get some heater hose and wrap the line?......and i flush my fluid?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same problem but only at the track. I could never pinpoint exactly what it felt like until I read this thread. Mine however does not stick to the floor, it just gets mushy feeling and engages very low.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
I've got the same problem but only at the track. I could never pinpoint exactly what it felt like until I read this thread. Mine however does not stick to the floor, it just gets mushy feeling and engages very low.
Same with me. Mine doesnt get stuck to the floor. Just real soft
Old 05-04-2007, 09:03 AM
FormerVendor

Wrap those lines and let us know if you see a notable change. I will bet you notice a difference.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took my car for an emission tests, they left the car idling for some time to help heat up the cats saying they work better that way. In the end it failed emmisions. We noticed a small amount of oil coming out between the block and transmission. The thought my seal is going in the transmission, and way not to worry no panic. So went to drive the car home, after a couple of miles, the clutch would go to the floor and was stuck in gear, the clutch wasn't disengaging. got it back to the garage, this oil leak was much worse.

Anyway to cut a long story short, the clutch fluid boiled and blew out the slave cylinder, all black oil like stuff was in my clutch fluid too, probably the rubber breaking down.

My clutch pipe was quite close to the cats. Make sure yours isn't too.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Yikes...what a nightmare. You fail emmissions and blow a slave cylinder in the same day. Well hopefully you have better luck in the future.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Yikes...what a nightmare. You fail emmissions and blow a slave cylinder in the same day. Well hopefully you have better luck in the future.
It was bad luck, they said it failed emmisions due to duff cats. So I ordered some new cats, well got some LT's that came with Cats, fitted them, and a new cluch while i had the transmission off. Took it in for an emmisions retest, and failed again, all along it was down to a loose clamp in th cat back which that same garage fitted.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same issues as you guys.

Wrap your hydraulic line in heater hose!!!

It worked wonders for me. My pedal always has nice pressure and no play while daily driving. I havent been WOT with it since i wrapped the line but im sure that is fixed also.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

i have the same problem. wraped the the line, replaced the master. had really dirty fluid. but its still doin it. i did the drill mod. the only thinks i havent done is the slave and clutch. what do u think?

Last edited by 99huggercamaro; 05-04-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for all the input guys....I will be trying to wrap my line w/ heater hose and change/flush my fluid as soon as i can.

I have no idea where the line is....can someone post a pic or explain where it is?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

You cant miss the line.

It is a stainless steel line and goes right into the side of the transmission right under the driver seat.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
You cant miss the line.

It is a stainless steel line and goes right into the side of the transmission right under the driver seat.
ok thanks. I'll be trying this soon!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what are you guys wrapping the line in?

i'm a first timer so are there any write ups about bleeding the clutch?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Regular

I love how my petal only gets soft when its cold whats up with that ****.

I am going to try this wrapping the line stuff to keep from creating other issues in the mean time.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn,t56 for sale...lol
Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used heater hose, cut a slit in it, then zip-tied it around the hydraulic line.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Question for you guys having this problem! Are you running a GM clutch? I was told that it might be the clutch itself sticking to the flywheel when under extreme excelleration. (Especially through lower gears because the clutch has momentum and wants to stick to the flywheel). GM clutches tend to have this problem due to impoper balancing, and the more power you make the worse this problem should become.

I wrapped my clutch line extremely well and bled the line numerous amounts of times, BUT still the problem persist. I'm running a ls6 clutch and new hydrolics. What i notice is that when I spray the problem is 2x worse and i'm under the impression that it is because of the extra momentum the porely balanced clutch has due to rocketing up the rpm band.
What do you guys think??
I've done everything except replace the clutch and still cant race anyone, it's that bad. Time for that dual plate.

Last edited by FootLbs; 05-28-2007 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by FootLbs
Question for you guys having this problem! Are you running a GM clutch? I was told that it might be the clutch itself sticking to the flywheel when under extreme excelleration. (Especially through lower gears because the clutch has momentum and wants to stick to the flywheel). GM clutches tend to have this problem due to impoper balancing, and the more power you make the worse this problem should become.

I wrapped my clutch line extremely well and bled the line numerous amounts of times, BUT still the problem persist. I'm running a ls6 clutch and new hydrolics. What i notice is that when I spray the problem is 2x worse and i'm under the impression that it is because of the extra momentum the porely balanced clutch has due to rocketing up the rpm band.
What do you guys think??
I've done everything except replace the clutch and still cant race anyone, it's that bad. Time for that dual plate.
That is correct. I dont think it is a non balance issue, just a weak diaphram spring in the pressure plate.
You need more clutch specially w/spray.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Ya same prblms with my ls7, I believe i am giving up and will be buying a 4l80 next year.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
wrencher

These clutches are all decent, but if you drive the car hard, you need to pay.
The clutch is one of the componets not to go the inexpensive route on.
You definately get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Help! Mushy and low clutch pedal AFTER races!